Apr 22, 2010, 2:42 PM EDT
After battling back from the combination of an oblique injury and terrible hitting last season to reclaim a spot in the A’s starting lineup, Travis Buck has landed back on the disabled list with … another strained oblique. He suffered the injury while taking batting practice yesterday and the DL stint will be the fifth of Buck’s four-year career.
Matt Carson has been called up from Triple-A to take his roster spot and as a right-handed hitter figures to platoon in left field with the left-handed hitting Eric Patterson and Gabe Gross. In fact, Carson is immediately drawing his first start this afternoon against southpaw CC Sabathia. Welcome back to the big leagues.
In other A’s injury news–and there’s seemingly always other A’s injury news–the team has shut down reliever Joey Devine after he experienced a setback in his recovery from Tommy John surgery. Devine was said to be making good progress recently, with an eye toward returning at some point next month, but that’s now in question with MLB.com’s Jane Lee reporting that he underwent an MRI exam.
Devine was nearly unhittable for the A’s in 2008, going 6-1 with a 0.59 ERA and .150 opponents’ batting average in 45.2 innings, but his elbow began barking last spring and he went under the knife almost exactly 12 months ago.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)