Apr 22, 2010, 2:42 PM EST
After battling back from the combination of an oblique injury and terrible hitting last season to reclaim a spot in the A’s starting lineup, Travis Buck has landed back on the disabled list with … another strained oblique. He suffered the injury while taking batting practice yesterday and the DL stint will be the fifth of Buck’s four-year career.
Matt Carson has been called up from Triple-A to take his roster spot and as a right-handed hitter figures to platoon in left field with the left-handed hitting Eric Patterson and Gabe Gross. In fact, Carson is immediately drawing his first start this afternoon against southpaw CC Sabathia. Welcome back to the big leagues.
In other A’s injury news–and there’s seemingly always other A’s injury news–the team has shut down reliever Joey Devine after he experienced a setback in his recovery from Tommy John surgery. Devine was said to be making good progress recently, with an eye toward returning at some point next month, but that’s now in question with MLB.com’s Jane Lee reporting that he underwent an MRI exam.
Devine was nearly unhittable for the A’s in 2008, going 6-1 with a 0.59 ERA and .150 opponents’ batting average in 45.2 innings, but his elbow began barking last spring and he went under the knife almost exactly 12 months ago.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)