Apr 22, 2010, 2:42 PM EDT
After battling back from the combination of an oblique injury and terrible hitting last season to reclaim a spot in the A’s starting lineup, Travis Buck has landed back on the disabled list with … another strained oblique. He suffered the injury while taking batting practice yesterday and the DL stint will be the fifth of Buck’s four-year career.
Matt Carson has been called up from Triple-A to take his roster spot and as a right-handed hitter figures to platoon in left field with the left-handed hitting Eric Patterson and Gabe Gross. In fact, Carson is immediately drawing his first start this afternoon against southpaw CC Sabathia. Welcome back to the big leagues.
In other A’s injury news–and there’s seemingly always other A’s injury news–the team has shut down reliever Joey Devine after he experienced a setback in his recovery from Tommy John surgery. Devine was said to be making good progress recently, with an eye toward returning at some point next month, but that’s now in question with MLB.com’s Jane Lee reporting that he underwent an MRI exam.
Devine was nearly unhittable for the A’s in 2008, going 6-1 with a 0.59 ERA and .150 opponents’ batting average in 45.2 innings, but his elbow began barking last spring and he went under the knife almost exactly 12 months ago.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 54
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)