Apr 22, 2010, 2:42 PM EDT
After battling back from the combination of an oblique injury and terrible hitting last season to reclaim a spot in the A’s starting lineup, Travis Buck has landed back on the disabled list with … another strained oblique. He suffered the injury while taking batting practice yesterday and the DL stint will be the fifth of Buck’s four-year career.
Matt Carson has been called up from Triple-A to take his roster spot and as a right-handed hitter figures to platoon in left field with the left-handed hitting Eric Patterson and Gabe Gross. In fact, Carson is immediately drawing his first start this afternoon against southpaw CC Sabathia. Welcome back to the big leagues.
In other A’s injury news–and there’s seemingly always other A’s injury news–the team has shut down reliever Joey Devine after he experienced a setback in his recovery from Tommy John surgery. Devine was said to be making good progress recently, with an eye toward returning at some point next month, but that’s now in question with MLB.com’s Jane Lee reporting that he underwent an MRI exam.
Devine was nearly unhittable for the A’s in 2008, going 6-1 with a 0.59 ERA and .150 opponents’ batting average in 45.2 innings, but his elbow began barking last spring and he went under the knife almost exactly 12 months ago.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)