Apr 22, 2010, 2:42 PM EST
After battling back from the combination of an oblique injury and terrible hitting last season to reclaim a spot in the A’s starting lineup, Travis Buck has landed back on the disabled list with … another strained oblique. He suffered the injury while taking batting practice yesterday and the DL stint will be the fifth of Buck’s four-year career.
Matt Carson has been called up from Triple-A to take his roster spot and as a right-handed hitter figures to platoon in left field with the left-handed hitting Eric Patterson and Gabe Gross. In fact, Carson is immediately drawing his first start this afternoon against southpaw CC Sabathia. Welcome back to the big leagues.
In other A’s injury news–and there’s seemingly always other A’s injury news–the team has shut down reliever Joey Devine after he experienced a setback in his recovery from Tommy John surgery. Devine was said to be making good progress recently, with an eye toward returning at some point next month, but that’s now in question with MLB.com’s Jane Lee reporting that he underwent an MRI exam.
Devine was nearly unhittable for the A’s in 2008, going 6-1 with a 0.59 ERA and .150 opponents’ batting average in 45.2 innings, but his elbow began barking last spring and he went under the knife almost exactly 12 months ago.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 20
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 75
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 13
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 45
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 141
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 18
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (141)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)