Apr 22, 2010, 8:49 PM EDT
A’s starter Dallas Braden and Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez exchanged words (well, yells) in the sixth inning of Thursday’s 4-2 Oakland victory. It wasn’t immediately clear what the two were jawing about, but MLB.com’s Jane Lee got to the bottom of the story during a round of post-game interviews.
It turns out Braden was upset that A-Rod crossed the Oakland Coliseum’s pitching mound while running off the field, an apparent no-no in the baseball world.
“He should probably take a note from his captain over there and realize
you don’t cross the pitcher’s mound in between an inning or during the
game,” said Braden. “I was just dumbfounded that he would let that slip his mind —
being someone of such status. … The guy was tasting himself too long to apologize. It’s a shame.”
While we’re not exaclty sure what “tasting himself” means, it sure does sound cool. And, well, it’s probably fitting too. Braden is off to a 3-0 start this year with a 2.77 ERA and 0.85 WHIP through four starts. Rodriguez, meanwhile, is batting .304/.448/.587 with two home runs and 10 RBI in 46 at-bats. Let’s hope the two meet again soon.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 34
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 30
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 44
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 12
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)