Apr 22, 2010, 8:49 PM EDT
A’s starter Dallas Braden and Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez exchanged words (well, yells) in the sixth inning of Thursday’s 4-2 Oakland victory. It wasn’t immediately clear what the two were jawing about, but MLB.com’s Jane Lee got to the bottom of the story during a round of post-game interviews.
It turns out Braden was upset that A-Rod crossed the Oakland Coliseum’s pitching mound while running off the field, an apparent no-no in the baseball world.
“He should probably take a note from his captain over there and realize
you don’t cross the pitcher’s mound in between an inning or during the
game,” said Braden. “I was just dumbfounded that he would let that slip his mind –
being someone of such status. … The guy was tasting himself too long to apologize. It’s a shame.”
While we’re not exaclty sure what “tasting himself” means, it sure does sound cool. And, well, it’s probably fitting too. Braden is off to a 3-0 start this year with a 2.77 ERA and 0.85 WHIP through four starts. Rodriguez, meanwhile, is batting .304/.448/.587 with two home runs and 10 RBI in 46 at-bats. Let’s hope the two meet again soon.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 4
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 5
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)