Apr 22, 2010, 8:49 PM EDT
A’s starter Dallas Braden and Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez exchanged words (well, yells) in the sixth inning of Thursday’s 4-2 Oakland victory. It wasn’t immediately clear what the two were jawing about, but MLB.com’s Jane Lee got to the bottom of the story during a round of post-game interviews.
It turns out Braden was upset that A-Rod crossed the Oakland Coliseum’s pitching mound while running off the field, an apparent no-no in the baseball world.
“He should probably take a note from his captain over there and realize
you don’t cross the pitcher’s mound in between an inning or during the
game,” said Braden. “I was just dumbfounded that he would let that slip his mind –
being someone of such status. … The guy was tasting himself too long to apologize. It’s a shame.”
While we’re not exaclty sure what “tasting himself” means, it sure does sound cool. And, well, it’s probably fitting too. Braden is off to a 3-0 start this year with a 2.77 ERA and 0.85 WHIP through four starts. Rodriguez, meanwhile, is batting .304/.448/.587 with two home runs and 10 RBI in 46 at-bats. Let’s hope the two meet again soon.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 16
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 58
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 46
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 17
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)