Braden, Rodriguez spice up the day in Oakland

Apr 22, 2010, 8:49 PM EST

braden on mound.JPGA’s starter Dallas Braden and Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez exchanged words (well, yells) in the sixth inning of Thursday’s 4-2 Oakland victory.  It wasn’t immediately clear what the two were jawing about, but MLB.com’s Jane Lee got to the bottom of the story during a round of post-game interviews.

It turns out Braden was upset that A-Rod crossed the Oakland Coliseum’s pitching mound while running off the field, an apparent no-no in the baseball world.

“He should probably take a note from his captain over there and realize
you don’t cross the pitcher’s mound in between an inning or during the
game,” said Braden. “I was just dumbfounded that he would let that slip his mind –
being someone of such status. … The guy was tasting himself too long to apologize.  It’s a shame.”

While we’re not exaclty sure what “tasting himself” means, it sure does sound cool.  And, well, it’s probably fitting too.  Braden is off to a 3-0 start this year with a 2.77 ERA and 0.85 WHIP through four starts.  Rodriguez, meanwhile, is batting .304/.448/.587 with two home runs and 10 RBI in 46 at-bats.  Let’s hope the two meet again soon.

1. MK - Apr 22, 2010 at 9:06 PM

“an apparent no-no in the baseball world.”
    Untrue. I’m guessing he got that rule from wherever he dug up “tasting yourself” from.
    Braden also threatened “repercussions” if A-Rod dared walk across the mound again. It’s one thing to be a hotheaded jerk like Braden, but it’s another altogether to after the fact threaten another player for a rule you made up.
    Where’s Yankee Bob when you need him? ;)

2. APBA Guy - Apr 22, 2010 at 9:38 PM

First I’ve ever heard of this “rule”, but maybe out in the Central Valley where Braden’s from they have some turf things the rest of us aren’t aware of.
    But you have to wonder about Braden’s composure. It’s one thing for guys on little clubs to make sure they aren’t subjected to high-handedness by big clubs, but I doubt the rest of the A’s have any desire to see the Yankees really bearing down the next few times they play. The Yankees took 2 of 3 basically on cruise control this series. I think you’d get some scores in the Brewers v. Pirates category with a motivated Yankee team playing the A’s.

3. BD - Apr 22, 2010 at 9:47 PM

I’m a die hard season ticket holder for the Yankees…
    But, it is an unwritten rule. You never see a player cross over the mound, it’s considered an insult. Old school guys like Gibson, Ryan, Randy Johnson, etc. would def send a message Arod’s next at bat.

4. Anon - Apr 22, 2010 at 10:48 PM

Just when I thought the unwritten rulebook couldn’t get any bigger. Or dumber.

5. Lara - Apr 22, 2010 at 10:56 PM

Anon, its also an unwritten rule that more rules can be added at any time.
    But on a semi-serious note, unwritten rules exist and I’m fine with that but the number of them that exist in baseball has always turned me off.

6. Josh - Apr 22, 2010 at 11:21 PM

Obviously you guys never have played baseball. I can assure you this is an unwritten rule, as I’ve run into this in my playing days. It’s just plain disrespectful.
    I’d be careful what you call Braden, he’s actually a real good guy who spends his free time working with inner-city kids.
    Yes, I’m an A’s fan, but you’ve got to be kidding me. Stereotypical Yankee fans.

7. Josh - Apr 22, 2010 at 11:26 PM

This is my take, come on over and let me know:

8. Josh - Apr 22, 2010 at 11:29 PM

Here’s my take, come on over and bring the debate:

9. MK - Apr 22, 2010 at 11:39 PM

Why should anyone, much less anonymous posters on a blog, be careful what they call a player who completely flips out during and after a game?
    I don’t care if Braden spends every waking minute outside the ballpark helping old ladies cross the street, that outburst today was really bizarre.
    I’d close by calling you a stereotypical A’s fan, but I’m not sure if there even is such a thing.

10. Mick - Apr 22, 2010 at 11:48 PM

This could be what “tasting himself” means.

11. Everheard? - Apr 22, 2010 at 11:54 PM

I have been watching baseball games for 40 years and have never seen this happen, but maybe I just haven’t been paying attention. I’m pretty sure announcers would have pointed something like this out, but maybe they weren’t paying attention. Who would want to run up and then down the pitchers mound. Could be A-Rod was just trying to get in some aerobics. Running across the pitchers mound might be a good way to twist an ankle. On another subject, it seems like almost every game I have watched this year umpires blow calls, plays right in front of them, six feet away, terrible. Unbelievably bad umpires.

12. SuperBad - Apr 23, 2010 at 12:33 AM

Im pretty sure ‘tasting yourself’ is akin to ‘smelling yourself’ or ‘feeling yourself’. They all allude to a person thinking more of themself than they should. i.e. “You must be really feeling yourself, to act that way”. The latter 2 are usually used in urban vernacular, so Im guessing ‘tatsing yourelf’ is just the baseball/vanilla equivalent? I agree, it sounds kinda cool.
    I’m curious to know what A-rod’s perspective is, like does he not KNOW about that rule, or does he just not adhere to it? I’m a Yankee fan, I love the Yanks. However, let’s not act like A-rod hasn’t been used to being “A-rod” a lot longer than he has being the archetypical, do-your-job-and-go-home Yankees of the past decade.
    Yelling “ha”, slapping the ball out of the red sox guy’s glove, calling the press conference in spring training to announce to the world he & Jeter wern’t friends anymore….at times our third baseman is a bit off the program. He’s A-rod and all the steroid humbling in the world isn’t going to eradicate the basic elements of who he is at times.

13. mike fer - Apr 23, 2010 at 12:37 AM

A Rod writes his own rules………….tasting himself is a little harder to do….. his HIP isnt 100%…..but he still manages the task of tasting his a ROD…….DallASS is a pro at tasting himself so he should know a taster when he sees one. Mr.dallASS also tastes his own pole and hole

14. mike fer - Apr 23, 2010 at 12:42 AM

Hey SuperBad, tats ing your elf is cool too if santa lets him off work early

15. Prince Myshkin - Apr 23, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Boys will be boys, over and over again, just like they were in little league. I think the only thing to do is look the other way, let them get it out of their system, and keep them from doing anything really stupid. What’s either of them trying to prove, other than A-Rod likes to get under his opponents’ skin and Braden has a hot temper. We already knew that. So grow up boys!

16. Mike Fer - Apr 23, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Hey SuperBad,
    I hope u get Santa’s permission to tats ing your elf

17. Winston - Apr 23, 2010 at 1:00 AM

You’ve got to be kidding me. As if there weren’t enough things to get into. Does this sort of thing doesn’t happen in the NL?

18. Lara - Apr 23, 2010 at 1:17 AM

Josh was obviously a more professional ball player than Rick Sutcliffe and Keith Hernandez who’ve both said they’ve never heard of that unwritten rule.

19. dw - Apr 23, 2010 at 2:20 AM

It’s the same principal as Terrell Owens celebrating on the Cowboys’ star at Texas Stadium as he did several years ago. It’s just disrespectful …

20. billybill - Apr 23, 2010 at 4:31 AM

I’ve played,umpired,and watched baseball for about forty years and have never heard of this unwritten rule.It never even ocurred to me.However,upon thinking about it,I’ve never seen a player cross the pitcher’s mound when leaving the field.There must be a reason.It’s not worth flipping out about though.

21. Len - Apr 23, 2010 at 7:57 AM

A Rod should have called a penalty on himself when we crossed over the mound when he went by the thrid base umpire.

22. Mike R - Apr 23, 2010 at 8:06 AM

Just goes to show most Yankee fans are uneducated when it comes to baseball, incapable of being objective about what’s right and wrong, will back any Yankee in mindless slave-like devotion no matter how obnoxious their actions maybe, can not perceive the damage boorish players like A-Rod do to the character of the game because they harbor restricted perceptions that never extend beyond the tiny little reality know as “Yankee Universe”. Please New Yorkers, grow up and become responsible members of the real world.

23. ray-ray - Apr 23, 2010 at 9:13 AM

I cant help but wonder if it also secretly bothers braden that the opposing pitcher spends all that time occupying “his space”…It seems to me that that this hot head moron was waiting for an opportunity to explode,and just couldn’t wait any longer!

24. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Apr 23, 2010 at 9:16 AM

So does Arod, so what’s your point?

25. nycguy - Apr 23, 2010 at 10:01 AM

Arod is not too bright and most of us don’t expect much from him in the etiquette department.After his “pop fly scream” incident in the past, it is clear that Arod has no sense or knowledge of baseball’s unwritten rules.There was also rules about using steroids and other chemicals that Arod didn’t abide by either. It just may be that Arod IS as stupid as he acts………

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4995)
  2. M. Kemp (3507)
  3. J. Kang (2702)
  4. J. Upton (2651)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2629)
  1. C. McGehee (2614)