Classless and ignorant Mets fans boo David Wright

Apr 22, 2010, 3:16 PM EDT

Don’t look at me, Craig Carton: even a guy with a journalism background is saying it this time:

Wright was struck on the wrist by a pitch in the first inning. He
flubbed a tough backhand grounder for an error in the third. He ended
his soggy day 1-for-2 at the plate, with an RBI single. When he struck
out in the sixth, he was jeered by a vocal, impertinent minority in Flushing.

This isn’t new anymore. The knuckleheads in the stands have started
booing Wright with alarming regularity. Less than a 10th of the way into
a fresh season, Met fans are razzing their best position player because
they need a target, any target, and because Omar Minaya is never included among the pregame lineup announcements.

I know they’re entitled and that they need an outlet for their rage, but you just don’t see fans booing a team’s best player outside of New York. I think that says much less about what’s appropriate or not and much more about the New York fans’ sense of entitlement and rage.

But whatever you think about this subject, I’ll grudgingly grant that reasonable minds can disagree about booing Javy Vazquez.  Anyone who boos David Wright in Citi Field, however, needs their head examined.

1. Route36West - Apr 22, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Yea Chase Utley will never be booed in Philly. He could take a dump on a Phillies fans chest and the guy would probably say thank you Mr Utley.
    As soon as he said ” World F&^*ing Champions” he knocked Rocky off the pedistool as Philadelphia’s favorite son.

2. Route36West - Apr 22, 2010 at 6:57 PM

“Eagles fans booed Santa Claus.
    Hey, if the team isn’t getting the job done, the minute a player has an epic fail, they’re gonna get booed. I’d boo Wright or anyone else if they have a lousy game or string of games.”
    Santa Claus was a drunk idiot fan in the bleachers who was cursing and messing with everyone. He got pulled out of the seats because he was being an idiot. Then the fans he was messing with got there revenge and threw snowballs at him.
    Get your story right if your going to try to make fun of another teams fans. Otherwise it makes you look like an idiot.

3. MassiveDynamic - Apr 22, 2010 at 8:16 PM

You are a complete Moron, in fact, I’ll even say that your Baseball Knowledge could fit in a marble! You’re probably from that Loser smug city that was built over a garbge dump! Yeah, you know who you are. I’m surprised that you haven’t jumped from Tobin’s Bridge yet. How’s Big Sloppy doing??? hehehe. One thing I have to correct you on, is that the Greatest, most knowledgeable Fans in all of Professional Sports reside in the Greatest City in the World, New York New York! To really show you where the most intelligent fans are in New York, well, they’re in the Burrough of Da Bronx! So Mr Moron, “Couldn’t pour piss from a boot, with the directions on the heel” Jeff, Grow up, and learn about the Greatest Sport in the world for your own edification, that way, you won’t sound as stupid as you look! And, please!!! You should really hold off posting on here until you reach a triple digit IQ!

4. Rae - Apr 22, 2010 at 8:24 PM

Um, I was at Fenway last Saturday during a terrible and embarrassing series with the Rays and I didn’t hear any booing of our players. Even David Ortiz, who is beyond struggling, gets applause and chants of “Papi! Papi! Papi!” when he comes to bat. We leave the trash-talking to our media, thanks.

5. enough already - Apr 22, 2010 at 8:47 PM

Yeah, it is embarrassing. I was at the game with a friend of mine who was a cub fan and had to explain to him why every time they booed. But equally annoying were the classless cubs fans sitting behind me who had forgotten where they were and what their team’s record was. Honestly, it’s all about a lack of civility. I’m willing to accept that New Yorkers can be particularly harsh, but nobody gets a pass on this one.

6. enough already - Apr 22, 2010 at 8:55 PM

Yeah. Cause that’s really classy.

7. jwb - Apr 22, 2010 at 10:08 PM

It’s just part of the culture.
    So you’re saying that classlessness, ignorance, impertinence, and knuckleheadedness is what passes for culture in New York? Got it.
    In other news, Brian Cashman went to CitiField to present Xavier Nady with his World Series ring. I guess he’s not part of New York “culture,” because that’s a classy move. Ah, he grew up in Kentucky.

8. Route36West - Apr 23, 2010 at 12:28 AM

You know whats funny right after I said Phillies fans wouldnt boo Utley he committed 2 run scoring errors in a row and I was trying to boo him through my tv in Philadelphia all the way to Atlanta. lol.

9. Big Harold - Apr 23, 2010 at 12:53 AM

“Shame on Wright for having the tools but not the passion. …
    One from and old school fan: BOOOOOOOOOOOOO”
    Old School, .. by what standard?? Exactly what team are you watching? I’m a Yankee fan so I don’t watch the Mets every day. And, I’m not impressed by their owner, front office nor managers, nor have I been since M. Donald Grant traded Seaver to the Reds. But, besides Santana he ONLY guy currently on that team worth a damn is Wright. If he’s been struggling of late it has more to do with his lack of support than anything else.
    It would appear that you dropped out of the “old school”.

10. Chris Simonds - Apr 23, 2010 at 5:47 AM

At this point in its history, David Wright having a passion for the Mets would make him the necrophiliac of baseball. There are guys who have a passion for corpses, but would you want one on your team?

11. sal - Apr 23, 2010 at 8:35 AM

What leadership characteristics has Wright ever portrayed? He comes he plays and when he reflects on his performance and his teams and he is detached and distant. Did you ever see him fired up? Do you ever see him display Jeter like enthusiasim, ever? I am sorry but when you earn tens of millions of dollars you have to put it all on the line and he simply doesn’t. Mark my words when his playing days are over he will be long forgotten if that doesn’t change.
    FYI Yankee fans booed ARod for a very long time.

12. sal - Apr 23, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Thanks for that intellegent rebuttal. The Mets have a lot of talent on their team, David Wright probably the most talented amoungst them. So on paper they are a great team so what is wrong? Why can’t they win consistantly? Why have we seen them collapse when all they needed to do was dig down and win even one game a few years ago? Because they are missing the heart to do so. No one, other than Santana appears to give a damn about winning on this team. I mean Reyes and Beltran should have both been traded 2 years ago by anyone’s standards. Wright has the looks, the tools, the means and he is where he needs to be to really leave his mark on this team so what is the problem? I mean, watch this kid when they interview him after a loss or a bad game, it is like it doesn’t matter to him.
    That isn’t how a competitor acts. Sorry but I have seen more fire in high school sports than this. For 10 million per year you have to do more. In NY you have to do more.

13. sal - Apr 23, 2010 at 9:03 AM

Chris,
    I think your comments are right on the money. They do seem dead. The season has just begun, their record isn’t horrible but nothing has really changed about their losing demeanor. No player, Wright or anyone else has stepped up and taken a leadership role. I have watched closely, listening for any spark, any clue that something has changed fromt he past 3 seasons, but I still find their attitude casual and calm.
    It is time for fans to be pissed off enough to let these guys know that this status quo isn’t good enough. Let them feel it, let them hear it and maybe it will give them some insight to dig a little deeper, play a little harder, put more pressure on each other to turn this around now, before it is too late.
    These guys are getting paid millions by us, the fans who pay them and they need to know in no uncertain terms that losing isn’t what they are getting all that money for.

14. Joey B - Apr 23, 2010 at 9:59 AM

“Thanks for that intellegent rebuttal. The Mets have a lot of talent on their team, David Wright probably the most talented amoungst them. So on paper they are a great team so what is wrong? Why can’t they win consistantly?”
    Because the NYMs are not developing a lot of players. They have very good players at relatively few positions, and mediocre players at a relatively large number of positions. They should still be okay, just not as good as they should be.

15. Jay - Apr 23, 2010 at 10:27 AM

“pardon my ignorance, but what were the circumstances of jeter’s booing? i don’t remember off-hand”
    Pete,
    If I recall correctly, it was during the 2004 season. Jeter was mired in a horrible slump and was hitting below .200 through late April/mid-May.
    Have a good day.

16. Lawrence From Plattekill - Apr 23, 2010 at 11:42 AM

No, I’m saying that booing isn’t classless or ignorant, just a healthy way of expressing yourself. I’m also saying that making a big deal out of it to make yourself feel superior is a symptom of personality traits much more harmful to humanity than the impulse to boo.

17. Big Harold - Apr 23, 2010 at 9:19 PM

“Do you ever see him display Jeter like enthusiasim, ever?”
    Frankly, Jeter gets criticised all the time for his low key style. So I don’t see the point here. Also, what is your complaint that he doesn’t produce or that he;’s not demonstrative about it?
    “Mark my words when his playing days are over he will be long forgotten ….”
    That would depend greatly on his performance between now and the next 8-10 years or so. He’s off to a pretty good start for his career but to suggest that he will end up as nothing more than a foot note, .. I don’t see it.
    “FYI Yankee fans booed ARod for a very long time.”
    I didn’t nor do I see the relationship.

18. sal - Apr 24, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Harold,
    Jeter is always the guy on top of the dugout stairs routing and cheering his teammates on. He is intently into every game and is never seen casually sitting around, disinterested. It is easy to detect Jeter’s pain when things don’t go right and I have never witnessed him passing over even the slightest contribution by another player on his team.
    Being a champion is more than just statistics, it is all about heart. I like Wright, he is a nice kid and a very talented one but that isn’t enough, you gotta have fire and that fire will spread turning the rest of the casual players into winners.
    PS: Yankee fans bashed ARod, who is the best player in baseball about his performance when he first arrived. What changed? ARod did, his attitude went from a casual one to that of someone who truely wanted to win. Thank Jeter for that.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate