Apr 22, 2010, 3:16 PM EDT
Don’t look at me, Craig Carton: even a guy with a journalism background is saying it this time:
Wright was struck on the wrist by a pitch in the first inning. He
flubbed a tough backhand grounder for an error in the third. He ended
his soggy day 1-for-2 at the plate, with an RBI single. When he struck
out in the sixth, he was jeered by a vocal, impertinent minority in Flushing.
This isn’t new anymore. The knuckleheads in the stands have started
booing Wright with alarming regularity. Less than a 10th of the way into
a fresh season, Met fans are razzing their best position player because
they need a target, any target, and because Omar Minaya is never included among the pregame lineup announcements.
I know they’re entitled and that they need an outlet for their rage, but you just don’t see fans booing a team’s best player outside of New York. I think that says much less about what’s appropriate or not and much more about the New York fans’ sense of entitlement and rage.
But whatever you think about this subject, I’ll grudgingly grant that reasonable minds can disagree about booing Javy Vazquez. Anyone who boos David Wright in Citi Field, however, needs their head examined.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)