Apr 22, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
Jacoby Ellsbury was initially diagnosed with bruised ribs anjd finally placed on the disabled list after being unavailable on the active roster for 10 days, but now Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe reports that a CT scan today revealed “four ribs with hairline fractures.”
Benjamin adds that it “might or might not affect his return date,” but it certainly doesn’t qualify as good news and Ellsbury seems highly unlikely to come off the DL when eligible Wednesday.
Ellsbury suffered the injury when he collided with Adrian Beltre on April 11, which along with Mike Cameron’s abdominal injury has the Red Sox using Jeremy Hermida as their primary left fielder while dipping into Triple-A for center field help in prospect Josh Reddick and minor league veteran Darnell McDonald.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)