Apr 22, 2010, 4:40 PM EDT
Jacoby Ellsbury was initially diagnosed with bruised ribs anjd finally placed on the disabled list after being unavailable on the active roster for 10 days, but now Amalie Benjamin of the Boston Globe reports that a CT scan today revealed “four ribs with hairline fractures.”
Benjamin adds that it “might or might not affect his return date,” but it certainly doesn’t qualify as good news and Ellsbury seems highly unlikely to come off the DL when eligible Wednesday.
Ellsbury suffered the injury when he collided with Adrian Beltre on April 11, which along with Mike Cameron’s abdominal injury has the Red Sox using Jeremy Hermida as their primary left fielder while dipping into Triple-A for center field help in prospect Josh Reddick and minor league veteran Darnell McDonald.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11