Apr 22, 2010, 7:43 AM EST
I criticized the Nationals for signing Jason Marquis to a two-year, $15 million deal this offseason, but his first month has gone far worse than I ever could have imagined.
He went 0-3 with a 20.52 ERA through three starts, coughing up 20 runs in 8.1 innings, and was placed on the disabled list Wednesday after an MRI exam revealed what general manager Mike Rizzo called “floating bodies” in his elbow.
No word yet on a return timetable or the identity of the floating bodies, but it doesn’t sound like he’ll be back any time soon. None of which will impact the Nationals’ plans for Stephen Strasburg, of course.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)