Apr 22, 2010, 7:43 AM EST
I criticized the Nationals for signing Jason Marquis to a two-year, $15 million deal this offseason, but his first month has gone far worse than I ever could have imagined.
He went 0-3 with a 20.52 ERA through three starts, coughing up 20 runs in 8.1 innings, and was placed on the disabled list Wednesday after an MRI exam revealed what general manager Mike Rizzo called “floating bodies” in his elbow.
No word yet on a return timetable or the identity of the floating bodies, but it doesn’t sound like he’ll be back any time soon. None of which will impact the Nationals’ plans for Stephen Strasburg, of course.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)