Apr 22, 2010, 7:43 AM EDT
I criticized the Nationals for signing Jason Marquis to a two-year, $15 million deal this offseason, but his first month has gone far worse than I ever could have imagined.
He went 0-3 with a 20.52 ERA through three starts, coughing up 20 runs in 8.1 innings, and was placed on the disabled list Wednesday after an MRI exam revealed what general manager Mike Rizzo called “floating bodies” in his elbow.
No word yet on a return timetable or the identity of the floating bodies, but it doesn’t sound like he’ll be back any time soon. None of which will impact the Nationals’ plans for Stephen Strasburg, of course.
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 0
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 5
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 15
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15