Apr 22, 2010, 9:24 PM EST
Dodgers outfielder Manny Ramirez departed Thursday’s game against the Reds in the sixth inning after straining his left calf, or rather aggravating a previous calf injury.
Manny hit a single in the sixth, trotted down the first base line, but pulled up lame just before hitting the bag. He missed a handful of games last week with a similar calf issue and is likely going to be deemed “day-to-day” once Dodgers trainers get their hands on him. He was replaced in left field by Reed Johnson, who may be asked to start the next couple of games as the dreadlocked outfielder rests.
Ramirez, 37, is off to a torrid start, batting .415/.500/.659 with two homers and 12 RBI through 41 at-bats. He should avoid the disabled list, but you never know.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 316
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (318)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)