Apr 22, 2010, 8:12 AM EDT
I’ll admit it: I was Team Joba as far as the Yankees’ fifth starter race went this spring. I thought that he had a better repertoire of pitches and a better chance to be a dominant starter than did Phil Hughes. He may one day be that kind of guy — and one game, or even one season is not definitive of anything — but last night’s performance showed that Phil Hughes belongs in the rotation of the defending world champs.
As I mentioned earlier this morning, Hughes took a no-hitter into the 8th inning. And this was not a matter of effective wildness or the A’s simply flailing. I watched most of the game, and it was manifest that he had excellent command last night. He was able to put his fastball wherever he wanted it, and the cutter was even more impressive. His velocity was impressive as well, as he maintained a 94 m.p.h. fastball much later in the game than he has in previous starts.
Losing the no-no the way he did — on a comebacker that he couldn’t find in time to throw Eric Chavez out — was rather deflating, but no one is going to hold that against him.
And no one is going to question the decision to put Hughes in the rotation any time soon.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 6
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 19
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 32
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 23
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)