Apr 22, 2010, 8:12 AM EDT
I’ll admit it: I was Team Joba as far as the Yankees’ fifth starter race went this spring. I thought that he had a better repertoire of pitches and a better chance to be a dominant starter than did Phil Hughes. He may one day be that kind of guy — and one game, or even one season is not definitive of anything — but last night’s performance showed that Phil Hughes belongs in the rotation of the defending world champs.
As I mentioned earlier this morning, Hughes took a no-hitter into the 8th inning. And this was not a matter of effective wildness or the A’s simply flailing. I watched most of the game, and it was manifest that he had excellent command last night. He was able to put his fastball wherever he wanted it, and the cutter was even more impressive. His velocity was impressive as well, as he maintained a 94 m.p.h. fastball much later in the game than he has in previous starts.
Losing the no-no the way he did — on a comebacker that he couldn’t find in time to throw Eric Chavez out — was rather deflating, but no one is going to hold that against him.
And no one is going to question the decision to put Hughes in the rotation any time soon.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)