Apr 22, 2010, 8:12 AM EDT
I’ll admit it: I was Team Joba as far as the Yankees’ fifth starter race went this spring. I thought that he had a better repertoire of pitches and a better chance to be a dominant starter than did Phil Hughes. He may one day be that kind of guy — and one game, or even one season is not definitive of anything — but last night’s performance showed that Phil Hughes belongs in the rotation of the defending world champs.
As I mentioned earlier this morning, Hughes took a no-hitter into the 8th inning. And this was not a matter of effective wildness or the A’s simply flailing. I watched most of the game, and it was manifest that he had excellent command last night. He was able to put his fastball wherever he wanted it, and the cutter was even more impressive. His velocity was impressive as well, as he maintained a 94 m.p.h. fastball much later in the game than he has in previous starts.
Losing the no-no the way he did — on a comebacker that he couldn’t find in time to throw Eric Chavez out — was rather deflating, but no one is going to hold that against him.
And no one is going to question the decision to put Hughes in the rotation any time soon.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)