Apr 22, 2010, 12:13 PM EDT
Just a week after Jerry Manuel declared Ryota Igarashi his setup man, his setup man has hit the disabled list with a hamstring tear suffered in Tuesday night’s game. Igarashi has a serious fastball and has been successful so far this season, even if he hasn’t been exactly dominant (3Ks and 4 BBs in 6 IP). Given the already depleted state of the Mets’ pen, this is not welcome news.
But this is one instance where Mets’ fans can be happy that Jerry Manuel is their manager. After all, if Lou Piniella were in charge he’d deal with this injury by moving Johan Santana to the pen.
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 7
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 196
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 93
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (197)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (93)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)