Apr 22, 2010, 12:13 PM EDT
Just a week after Jerry Manuel declared Ryota Igarashi his setup man, his setup man has hit the disabled list with a hamstring tear suffered in Tuesday night’s game. Igarashi has a serious fastball and has been successful so far this season, even if he hasn’t been exactly dominant (3Ks and 4 BBs in 6 IP). Given the already depleted state of the Mets’ pen, this is not welcome news.
But this is one instance where Mets’ fans can be happy that Jerry Manuel is their manager. After all, if Lou Piniella were in charge he’d deal with this injury by moving Johan Santana to the pen.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)