The Yankees turn a triple play

Apr 22, 2010, 5:12 PM EDT

The Yankees are playing the A’s as we speak.  A few moments ago they turned a 5-4-3 triple play (A-Rod, Cano, Teixeira).  Daric Barton was on second and Ryan Sweeney was on first. Kurt Suzuki was at the plate.

I don’t care who you are. That was cool.

1. YankeesfanLen - Apr 22, 2010 at 5:35 PM

Not only was it cool, it was the first time since June of ’68, and that one involved Mickey Mantle and Bobby Cox.

2. BCTF - Apr 22, 2010 at 5:44 PM

I wonder what the percentage of GD triple plays are started by catchers? It has got to be pretty high.

3. TC - Apr 22, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Love the triple play. Second basemen has to pivot so, so quickly.
    I think the most recent Phils triple play was Nunez-Utley-Helms. I remember Helms was playing first that night (I can see his pasty chubby body catching the ball in my mind just as easily as my mind sees that same body striking out–always with RISP). For the life of me, I cannot recall WHY Helms was there, and not Howard.

4. Moses Green - Apr 22, 2010 at 6:08 PM

I was lucky enough to see it, very cool. Suzuki was hustling too, like he knew the second he hit it. Oh crap oh crap … OUT

5. Brian Sadecki - Apr 22, 2010 at 7:48 PM

Nick Johnson was playing first.

6. Jick - Apr 22, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Don’t forget Eric Bruntlett’s unassisted one from last year.

7. Loren - Apr 23, 2010 at 12:07 AM

There was a nice symmetry to Kurt Suzuki’s day. He hit a 3-run HR in the first, came up with two on again later and did the closest thing to the opposite of a 3-run HR there is. And BTW, Suzuki’s got to be about the fastest catcher around so it’s not like he had a piano on his back running to first.

8. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Apr 23, 2010 at 9:10 AM

For those who haven’t seen it (I missed it =\)

9. pdxjake - Apr 23, 2010 at 12:46 PM

I know everyone is just gaga over this play, and they should be because it’s a rare thing. But in terms of athleticism I’ve seen more exciting double plays. Heck, I’ve seen more exciting single outs. A-rod caught the ball right next to his bag, which he reached out to toe and then through it around the horn. And guess what, each player did their job from then on! Astounding! Maybe A-rod has ESPN and knew exactly where the ball was going to be hit. That would impress me. But it looks like he took advantage of where he was standing and where the ball was hit – which any self-respecting third baseman should do. First basemen do it all that time (pick up a ground ball and touch the bag). I’m probably missing the magical A-rod/Yankee/studliness of it all but I’m a Mariner fan, so that kinda goes with the territory. [end rant]

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet