Apr 23, 2010, 4:42 PM EST
Carlos Zambrano is apparently fine with the Cubs moving him to the bullpen … for now.
He reportedly told manager Lou Piniella that he’d like to rejoin the rotation in time for the playoffs, which is both interesting from a strategic standpoint and wishful thinking from a Cubs player.
Here’s what Piniella said about Zambrano’s request:
He did mention that. The playoffs are a long, long, long way away. Let’s just get through April right now. Let’s not put a time frame on it, let’s not do that. We need help in the eighth inning role right now and that’s what we’re trying to help ourselves in.
Zambrano is expected to be available out of the bullpen Saturday, which is when Ted Lilly comes off the disabled list to rejoin the rotation.
Piniella has made it clear that Zambrano will be used as Carlos Marmol’s primary setup man, working mostly in the eighth inning and for just one inning at a time. “We want to use him short and we want to use Marmol short,” Piniella said. “An inning, or an inning and a third.”
I’d still probably bet on Zambrano ending up with more starts than relief appearances this season.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 20
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)