Apr 23, 2010, 4:42 PM EDT
Carlos Zambrano is apparently fine with the Cubs moving him to the bullpen … for now.
He reportedly told manager Lou Piniella that he’d like to rejoin the rotation in time for the playoffs, which is both interesting from a strategic standpoint and wishful thinking from a Cubs player.
Here’s what Piniella said about Zambrano’s request:
He did mention that. The playoffs are a long, long, long way away. Let’s just get through April right now. Let’s not put a time frame on it, let’s not do that. We need help in the eighth inning role right now and that’s what we’re trying to help ourselves in.
Zambrano is expected to be available out of the bullpen Saturday, which is when Ted Lilly comes off the disabled list to rejoin the rotation.
Piniella has made it clear that Zambrano will be used as Carlos Marmol’s primary setup man, working mostly in the eighth inning and for just one inning at a time. “We want to use him short and we want to use Marmol short,” Piniella said. “An inning, or an inning and a third.”
I’d still probably bet on Zambrano ending up with more starts than relief appearances this season.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 5
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 35
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 44
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 89
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)