David Ortiz: being pinch-hit for was "embarrassing"

Apr 23, 2010, 7:48 PM EDT

David Ortiz strikeout.jpgUPDATE: Talk about great timing. Ortiz just slugged his first home run of the season to the “Monster Seats” in center field.

7:11 PM: Prior to Friday’s game against the Orioles, David Ortiz told Rob Bradford of WEEI.com that he was embarrassed when Mike Lowell pinch-hit for him against left-hander Darren Oliver on Tuesday:

“It was just embarrassing, getting pinch-hit for,” Ortiz said. “I
understand. I’m not swinging the bat good, with a lefty and whatever.
I’ve got to come through and do my thing and get that out of people’s
heads. When I’m swinging the bat good that’s not going to happen.
Basically it was a wake-up call to say, ‘You better start hitting or
you’re going to get pinch-hit for.'”

Or benched altogether. Francona started Lowell over Ortiz on Wednesday and Thursday as the Red Sox faced consecutive left-handers. With right-hander Jeremy Guthrie on the mound on Friday, the .146 hitting Ortiz is back in the starting lineup, batting sixth.

1. Nasty Boy - Apr 23, 2010 at 9:44 PM

This dumb sob doesn’t get it . Your FINISHED stupid . Don’t get me wrong , it couldn’t happen to a more deserving team , because both Ortiz , and the Bosux are FINISHED !!!!

2. GimmeSomeSteel - Apr 23, 2010 at 11:45 PM

It’s “you’re”, not “your”. So who’s “dumb” here?
    That said, I agree that Ortiz is finished–but damn, he gave everyone except Yankee fans and/or Red Sox haters some thrills along the way, didn’t he?

3. jwb - Apr 24, 2010 at 12:45 AM

Ortiz’s performance is embarrassing. The end often comes fast and early for bad body sluggers.

4. Nasty Boy - Apr 24, 2010 at 1:27 AM

5. Moses Green - Apr 24, 2010 at 4:40 AM

Aaaahhh … mom jokes. Such fun. Your momma’s so fat it takes Dick Gregory and a forklift to get her big ass to church.
    Big Papi is embarrassed by being pinch-hit for against a lefty? Lowell was 3-8 with 2HR’s and 3 BB’s against Darren Oliver, Sloppy 2-10 with 3K’s and one double.
    Saying that is a dig at Mike Lowell and at Tito’s managerial abilities. It also shows distinct confusion about what should embarrass a ballplayer. Be embarrassed that you can’t hit for more power than Dustin Pedroia without horse steroids. Be embarrassed to have a .384 OPS vs LHP’s this season so far. Don’t be embarrassed when your manager makes the right move to help your team win a ballgame.
    This is first time he’s looked like a bad teammate, and he should really shut up because that’s about all he has left going for him. Which is nice.

6. skip7 - Apr 24, 2010 at 7:09 AM

I think some of Manny rubbed off on him. He stunk last year, is stinking this year… you’d better be embarrassed, and you’d better get your finances in order because your big-money days are about over.

7. Joey B - Apr 24, 2010 at 10:26 AM

Your mother is the dumb one , for having you . I’ll tell you , just as I told the GrammarPussy , when I feel I need your advice on grammar , I’ll ask for it . In other words , don’t call me , I’ll call you .”
    I’ll go out on a limb and guess that you’ve never asked anyone for advice on grammar.
    IRT to Papi, at least he recognizes that this is on him. I’ll tell my kids the same thing. If you want minutes, you have to take them. This ain’t no socialist experiment. Those that contribute will play. Those that don’t simply have to show up earlier and practice harder.
    From a RS perspective, a platoon always made sense, and I’d be working Hermida in there as well.

8. YANKEES1996 - Apr 24, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Get back on the JUICE maybe your hitting will come around.

9. Ryan - Apr 26, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Listen to this guy Ortiz, his team has been doing this for years and look at all the success they’ve had.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3274)