Apr 23, 2010, 7:48 PM EDT
UPDATE: Talk about great timing. Ortiz just slugged his first home run of the season to the “Monster Seats” in center field.
7:11 PM: Prior to Friday’s game against the Orioles, David Ortiz told Rob Bradford of WEEI.com that he was embarrassed when Mike Lowell pinch-hit for him against left-hander Darren Oliver on Tuesday:
“It was just embarrassing, getting pinch-hit for,” Ortiz said. “I
understand. I’m not swinging the bat good, with a lefty and whatever.
I’ve got to come through and do my thing and get that out of people’s
heads. When I’m swinging the bat good that’s not going to happen.
Basically it was a wake-up call to say, ‘You better start hitting or
you’re going to get pinch-hit for.'”
Or benched altogether. Francona started Lowell over Ortiz on Wednesday and Thursday as the Red Sox faced consecutive left-handers. With right-hander Jeremy Guthrie on the mound on Friday, the .146 hitting Ortiz is back in the starting lineup, batting sixth.
- Cliff Lee exits start with apparent arm injury 0
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 125
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 164
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (164)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (125)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)