Apr 23, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Asked yesterday whether Opening Day starter Aaron Harang will be removed from the Reds’ rotation after going 0-3 with an 8.31 ERA, manager Dusty Baker said:
I can’t tell you before I talk to him. Plus, we’re talking about it but this guy is getting paid handsomely to be a starter. At this point, who do you have to take his place? And we need him to win. It’s four starts. If it was 14 starts, it’d be a different thing.
Of course, if Dusty read Hardball Talk he would have seen my note from yesterday about how Harang’s struggles stretch back to last season and include his going 1-13 with a 5.41 ERA in his past 20 starts.
So when Baker says “if it was 14 starts, it’d be a different thing” what kind of “thing” would be it if it was actually 20 starts?
Also, someone please tell Dusty we have an RSS feed and a Twitter page that bring Hardball Talk directly to the reader without clogging the bases or anything.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)