Is K-Rod old school, or is he being abused?

Apr 23, 2010, 11:12 AM EDT

Francisco Rodriguez 3.jpgI have a lot of friends in academia. When they talk about the things they love about that world, they talk about the free exchange of opposing viewpoints. The ability to lay one’s intellectual cards upon the table and engage with those who subscribe to competing philosophical creeds in pitched, but respectful battle. What they love the most is that, though tempers may flare from time to time over the issues of the day, collegiality reigns supreme, because they are all ultimately there for the same purpose: to further the Knowledge of Man.

Which is kind of what it’s like at the New York Post:

In many ways [Francisco] Rodriguez really does have the soul of those old-time
stoppers, the ones who growled for the ball every day and pitched as
long as they needed to. Someone asked K-Rod if he’d be available to
pitch tonight, against the Braves, despite the five outs and 25 pitches. “Of course I am,” he said, in a tone that surely would’ve made
the Goose proud.

That’s the Post’s Mike Vaccaro, practically lionizing K-Rod for getting a five-out save against the Cubs last night.  But wait! Who’s that strolling into the lecture hall?  Why, it’s Professor Sherman!

Jerry Manuel is desperate . . . Manuel already has used Fernando
Nieve in 11 games, the most in the majors. That is a pace of 111 relief
appearances for the season. Manuel also ridiculously had Francisco Rodriguez warm up between 8-10
times last Saturday in the 20-inning game against the Cardinals and
then asked for a five-out save last night against the Cubs.
Pushing relievers now will cost the Mets at some time this season.

They clearly disagree on last night’s K-Rod save. I’m leaning Vaccaro’s way, because I think it’s ridiculous that anyone would pay a relief pitcher what Rodriguez makes and never ask him to pitch more than one inning. But I suppose reasonable people may differ on this point, and I tend to agree with Sherman’s points about Fernando
Nieve.

But isn’t that the beauty of academia? We can argue about these points all day long and, even if we never come to agreement, we are all enriched by the process of debate.  Kudos to the New York Post for allowing itself to serve as the marketplace of ideas!

1. Benny Blanco - Apr 23, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Im with you on this one Craig. Manuel may be desperate but using your closer for 5 outs is not unheard of and considering how little use K-Rod has had so far this year, I don’t see why it should be a big deal.

2. enough already - Apr 23, 2010 at 11:41 AM

“But wait! Who’s that strolling into the lecture hall? Why, it’s Professor Sherman!”
    Ha! I see I’m not the only one on “the other guys sucked, too” kick. I know that wasn’t the point of your post, but it’s what I’m addressing – before anybody pulls a hissy and accuses me of comparing apples and oranges or racism against oranges or orange colored logos. For God’s sake I’m a Mets fan. I love orange!

3. Utley's hair - Apr 23, 2010 at 12:08 PM

You have a lot of friends? There, now that’s out of the way. But why shouldn’t these guys who make so much moolah to play a game be expected to do exactly that–play the game? Pitch counts are employed far too often. The other night, my Phightins were up 3-0, but Kendrick had pitched eight frames and his pitch count was at 108, so Cholly pinch hit for him, and in came Madson to clamp it down. Yeah, that didn’t work out so well, did it–well, it did for Craig, but not so much for us.

4. scatterbrian - Apr 23, 2010 at 12:56 PM

closer ≠ stopper

5. Moses Green - Apr 24, 2010 at 4:55 AM

“Kudos to the NYP for allowing itself to serve as the marketplace of ideas!”
    Top-shelf. Also love the UNYP tag. That’s why you’re the man.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5036)