Jose Reyes to finally bat third

Apr 23, 2010, 1:15 PM EDT

reyes headshot.JPGJerry Manuel has been wanting to do it for a while, and despite Reyes’ own initial protests and the lobbying of Jeff Francoeur to have the issue tabled, it’s going to happen during this weekends’ series against the Braves, as Manuel says he wants to jump start the lineup (note to self: never hire Jeff Francoeur to be a lobbyist).

I don’t have a problem with this. As long as he’s near the top of the order, it really doesn’t matter. A leadoff hitter tends to only leadoff once a game anyway. The rest of the time everyone needs to hit. Better he do it directly in front of Jason Bay than to have Luis Castillo interrupting the flow.

1. enough already - Apr 23, 2010 at 1:21 PM

That’s not really fair. Luis is good at the 2 spot. He hit over .300 last year. I still want Reyes to hit first but I guess Jerry doesn’t really care what I think.

2. Mark Smith - Apr 23, 2010 at 1:36 PM

I have slight criticisms of the move.
    1) Where does David Wright go? Fifth? I’d rather have him farther up in the order to get more at-bats.
    2) Will placing Reyes third curtail his SBs? When running in front of a power-hitter, getting thrown out seems a tad worse because a guy like Bay will hit a double or home run more often than Castillo, and Reyes would score on those doubles. Reyes may need to steal less anyway due to his injuries, but a significant part of his value is in those steals.
    3) Who leads off? So, they’re taking away at-bats from Reyes, whose OBP has been in the .350s the last four seasons, and Wright. And they’re giving more to whom? Pagan?
    Again, these are slight criticisms, but I see this as a strictly negative (albeit slight) move.

3. GimmeSomeSteel - Apr 23, 2010 at 1:41 PM

What the heck, it’s worth a try. If it doesn’t work (and sample size should be considered), it probably won’t cost the Mets the pennant, and if it does work, fine.
    Personally, I think their best bet would be–
    Reyes
    Pagan
    Wright
    Bay
    Davis
    Francoeur
    Castillo
    C

4. Drew - Apr 23, 2010 at 2:03 PM

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who realizes that Luis Castillo is more than a worthless lump. He’s not Chase Utley or anything, but he’s pretty far down on the list of underperforming and incapable Mets at this point.

5. Jamie - Apr 23, 2010 at 2:12 PM

That says more about the Mets than it does about Luis Castillo.

6. john pileggi - Apr 23, 2010 at 2:42 PM

When a team has Wright, Bay, etc. hitting well below where you would expect, you have to do something to try and get them started. Batting Reyes third is as good a solution as any. Reyes has had leg problems, and perhaps it is in his long term interests to bat in a spot where his game may be less about stolen bases.

7. BCTF - Apr 23, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Leadoff hitters tend to leadoff an inning quite a bit more than just the first inning especially in the NL

8. Benny Blanco - Apr 23, 2010 at 4:27 PM

BCTF, I’m curious, where did you pick that stat up from? I attempted to do some quick research and found nothing that says you are correct.
    Granted, I wasn’t very thorough in my search…

9. Drew - Apr 23, 2010 at 4:27 PM

That’s true, but most teams would be perfectly happy with a #2 hitter who hit .302 with a .387 OBP (Castillo’s numbers from last season). You’d think the guy was putting up a Yuniesky Betancourt line or something. Yes, he dropped a pop-up. But he’s really not the problem.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3194)