Apr 23, 2010, 4:13 PM EDT
Sticking with Manny Ramirez, here’s some fun from Larry Bowa, Dodgers third base coach, who appeared on Sirius/XM’s Ripken Show today to talk about what it’s like to coach Manny Ramirez:
Larry Bowa: Believe me, when Manny’s up I hope for two things. I hope he hits a home run or he’s on third with less than two outs. Because that might be the most difficult player to navigate around the bases because you don’t know when he’s running hard, you don’t know what gate he’s gonna be in, you don’t know what his mood is . . . there’s times where I think he’s got a chance of scoring and then he’s rounding third, all of sudden you send him and between third and home something happens and he’s out by five, six feet.
Bowa went on to say that he “lies awake at night” worrying about Manny on the basepaths.
I know people disagree about Manny Ramirez, but there aren’t many things more funny in baseball than an agitated Larry Bowa, so I think this one has to go in the “pro” column on the great Manny ledger.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)