Apr 23, 2010, 4:13 PM EDT
Sticking with Manny Ramirez, here’s some fun from Larry Bowa, Dodgers third base coach, who appeared on Sirius/XM’s Ripken Show today to talk about what it’s like to coach Manny Ramirez:
Larry Bowa: Believe me, when Manny’s up I hope for two things. I hope he hits a home run or he’s on third with less than two outs. Because that might be the most difficult player to navigate around the bases because you don’t know when he’s running hard, you don’t know what gate he’s gonna be in, you don’t know what his mood is . . . there’s times where I think he’s got a chance of scoring and then he’s rounding third, all of sudden you send him and between third and home something happens and he’s out by five, six feet.
Bowa went on to say that he “lies awake at night” worrying about Manny on the basepaths.
I know people disagree about Manny Ramirez, but there aren’t many things more funny in baseball than an agitated Larry Bowa, so I think this one has to go in the “pro” column on the great Manny ledger.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 0
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 21
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 110
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 77
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (111)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (84)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (77)