Apr 23, 2010, 4:13 PM EDT
Sticking with Manny Ramirez, here’s some fun from Larry Bowa, Dodgers third base coach, who appeared on Sirius/XM’s Ripken Show today to talk about what it’s like to coach Manny Ramirez:
Larry Bowa: Believe me, when Manny’s up I hope for two things. I hope he hits a home run or he’s on third with less than two outs. Because that might be the most difficult player to navigate around the bases because you don’t know when he’s running hard, you don’t know what gate he’s gonna be in, you don’t know what his mood is . . . there’s times where I think he’s got a chance of scoring and then he’s rounding third, all of sudden you send him and between third and home something happens and he’s out by five, six feet.
Bowa went on to say that he “lies awake at night” worrying about Manny on the basepaths.
I know people disagree about Manny Ramirez, but there aren’t many things more funny in baseball than an agitated Larry Bowa, so I think this one has to go in the “pro” column on the great Manny ledger.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 50
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 20
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)