Apr 23, 2010, 3:52 PM EDT
UPDATE: Manny Ramirez has been placed on the disabled list, with Xavier Paul being called up from Triple-A to take his roster spot. Paul is 25 years old and deserving of a shot after putting up some nice numbers in the minors, so it’ll be interesting to see if Joe Torre actually plays him over Garret Anderson versus right-handers. Based on Torre’s history, I’m guessing probably not.
Manny Ramirez left last night’s game in the sixth inning after aggravating his calf injury and the Los Angeles Times reports that he’s undergoing a “precautionary” MRI exam today.
Ramirez is off to a great start, hitting .415 with two homers, four doubles, nine walks, and 12 RBIs in 13 games, and was actually running to first base after singling when he pulled up lame yesterday
Even if the MRI shows nothing serious Ramirez seems likely to miss at least a couple games, and the Dodgers figure to platoon Garret Anderson and Reed Johnson in left field for as long as he’s out.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 9
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)