Apr 23, 2010, 6:35 PM EST
As Drew detailed on Thursday, Daisuke Matsuzaka is set to replace Tim Wakefield in the starting rotation, but it turns out that won’t happen until next weekend in Baltimore, according to Paul Kenyon of the Providence Journal.
Wakefield will make one more start this Sunday against the Orioles, meanwhile, Matsuzaka will stay fresh with a simulated game scheduled for Monday in Toronto. Francona wouldn’t say exactly when Matsuzaka will make his first start, but the simulated game should line him up for a start on Saturday, as the Red Sox have a scheduled day off on Thursday.
When asked if he had spoken to Wakefield about his decision, Francona chose his words rather carefully:
“I don’t know how to say this,” he began. “We’re trying to
communicate with our guys the best we can and at the same time not ever
communicate through the media. That doesn’t ever seem like a good idea.
We’ll do what we think is right.”
The Red Sox have survived through a far more awkward situation with Mike Lowell — and it looks like he might end up being pretty useful with the current struggles of David Ortiz — so don’t be surprised if the grizzled Wakefield has a chance at redemption somewhere down the line.
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 6
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 51
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 41
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)