Apr 23, 2010, 6:35 PM EDT
As Drew detailed on Thursday, Daisuke Matsuzaka is set to replace Tim Wakefield in the starting rotation, but it turns out that won’t happen until next weekend in Baltimore, according to Paul Kenyon of the Providence Journal.
Wakefield will make one more start this Sunday against the Orioles, meanwhile, Matsuzaka will stay fresh with a simulated game scheduled for Monday in Toronto. Francona wouldn’t say exactly when Matsuzaka will make his first start, but the simulated game should line him up for a start on Saturday, as the Red Sox have a scheduled day off on Thursday.
When asked if he had spoken to Wakefield about his decision, Francona chose his words rather carefully:
“I don’t know how to say this,” he began. “We’re trying to
communicate with our guys the best we can and at the same time not ever
communicate through the media. That doesn’t ever seem like a good idea.
We’ll do what we think is right.”
The Red Sox have survived through a far more awkward situation with Mike Lowell — and it looks like he might end up being pretty useful with the current struggles of David Ortiz — so don’t be surprised if the grizzled Wakefield has a chance at redemption somewhere down the line.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 2
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 3
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 5
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 48
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)