Apr 23, 2010, 6:35 PM EDT
As Drew detailed on Thursday, Daisuke Matsuzaka is set to replace Tim Wakefield in the starting rotation, but it turns out that won’t happen until next weekend in Baltimore, according to Paul Kenyon of the Providence Journal.
Wakefield will make one more start this Sunday against the Orioles, meanwhile, Matsuzaka will stay fresh with a simulated game scheduled for Monday in Toronto. Francona wouldn’t say exactly when Matsuzaka will make his first start, but the simulated game should line him up for a start on Saturday, as the Red Sox have a scheduled day off on Thursday.
When asked if he had spoken to Wakefield about his decision, Francona chose his words rather carefully:
“I don’t know how to say this,” he began. “We’re trying to
communicate with our guys the best we can and at the same time not ever
communicate through the media. That doesn’t ever seem like a good idea.
We’ll do what we think is right.”
The Red Sox have survived through a far more awkward situation with Mike Lowell — and it looks like he might end up being pretty useful with the current struggles of David Ortiz — so don’t be surprised if the grizzled Wakefield has a chance at redemption somewhere down the line.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 103
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 152
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 20
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 52
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 56
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 356
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (356)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (199)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (164)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (152)