Apr 23, 2010, 2:46 PM EST
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com wrote this morning that Diamondbacks catcher Chris Snyder is on the Red Sox’s “down-the-road hit list” as a potential midseason trade target. Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe also seems to think Snyder is a possible fit.
Arizona spent the offseason trying to deal Snyder, with rumored trades for Lyle Overbay and C.J. Wilson falling through because of questions about his back problems, so it seems likely that he could still be had. However, because Diamondbacks starter Miguel Montero is out for another month or so following knee surgery any Snyder move would have to wait until he returned.
Victor Martinez and Jason Varitek have combined to allow a remarkable 36 steals in 37 attempts through 16 games, leading to speculation that the Red Sox may decide they need a better catch-and-throw guy behind the plate. Snyder doesn’t have a great arm and has thrown out just 3-of-13 steal attempts so far this season, but is at a solid 32 percent for his career and would at the very least stop teams from running at will.
Complicating a Snyder-to-Boston deal is that the Red Sox would have to move Victor Martinez out from behind the plate, which would likely also involve benching David Ortiz. Beyond that Snyder is under contract for $5.75 million in 2011 with a $6.75 million option or $750,000 buyout for 2012, so bringing him in would seemingly make it far more likely that Boston would let Martinez walk as a free agent this offseason. While a great-hitting catcher, Martinez would be merely a good-hitting (and very expensive) designated hitter.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)