Apr 23, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
Ken Rosenthal of FOXSports.com wrote this morning that Diamondbacks catcher Chris Snyder is on the Red Sox’s “down-the-road hit list” as a potential midseason trade target. Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe also seems to think Snyder is a possible fit.
Arizona spent the offseason trying to deal Snyder, with rumored trades for Lyle Overbay and C.J. Wilson falling through because of questions about his back problems, so it seems likely that he could still be had. However, because Diamondbacks starter Miguel Montero is out for another month or so following knee surgery any Snyder move would have to wait until he returned.
Victor Martinez and Jason Varitek have combined to allow a remarkable 36 steals in 37 attempts through 16 games, leading to speculation that the Red Sox may decide they need a better catch-and-throw guy behind the plate. Snyder doesn’t have a great arm and has thrown out just 3-of-13 steal attempts so far this season, but is at a solid 32 percent for his career and would at the very least stop teams from running at will.
Complicating a Snyder-to-Boston deal is that the Red Sox would have to move Victor Martinez out from behind the plate, which would likely also involve benching David Ortiz. Beyond that Snyder is under contract for $5.75 million in 2011 with a $6.75 million option or $750,000 buyout for 2012, so bringing him in would seemingly make it far more likely that Boston would let Martinez walk as a free agent this offseason. While a great-hitting catcher, Martinez would be merely a good-hitting (and very expensive) designated hitter.
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 7
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 24
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)