Watch baseball games on your PlayStation

Apr 23, 2010, 3:17 PM EDT

SportsBusiness Daily reports that Major League Baseball Advanced Media and Sony have struck a deal in which the MLB.tv package will
be available on PlayStation 3 consoles.

I have MLB.tv for the first time this year. After some initial hiccups borne of what I suspect was just a lot of first-week-of-the-season traffic, I have come to really dig it. I think you need a separate monitor to truly optimize it — I hate switching back and forth between what I’m typing and what I’m watching — but it’s a good product.

The game system thing is interesting. I’m no gamer — in terms of sophistication I topped out with my (still working) Commodore 64 — but I could see such a hookup really catching on.  There are already ways of using MLB.tv with your big television, but I’m assuming that doing it through the PlayStation Network will make things a bit more seamless. Assuming you have a PlayStation anyway.

I don’t have one, but I did just now try and hook my Commodore 64 up to the TV, with a Radio Shack patch to my Internet connection. The results were mixed. The picture was awesome, but all I could pick up was a 1987 Expos-Astros game in which Neal Heaton beat Mike Scott.  Damndest thing.

UPDATENYaT has a review of MLB.tv on PS3.  The verdict: ’tis good!

1. Andrew @ NYaT - Apr 23, 2010 at 3:44 PM

Craig,
    I wrote a review of the MLB.TV on the PS3 for my blog last night (http://www.nyat.net/2010/04/quick-review-of-mlbtv-on-ps3.html). It’s pretty awesome and if you had a PS3, I would recommend hooking it up right away. Hopefully it does usher in the time when baseball cuts out the middle man and broadcasts all the games themselves because they do a really good job.

2. Ryan - Apr 23, 2010 at 3:49 PM

Can’t wait to check it out, I’ve been wanting something like this for a long time.

3. levi Stahl - Apr 23, 2010 at 4:01 PM

If it would translate all live game action into RBI Baseball graphics, I would go out right now and buy a Playstation and the subscription to MLB TV.

4. Simon DelMonte - Apr 23, 2010 at 4:07 PM

There are two reasons I haven’t gotten MLB.TV. The first is cost. It’s certainly cheaper than getting cable – I am one of those holdouts who just isn’t going to pay for six channels he wants and 100 he doesn’t – but I am not likely to get value for my purchase. If they offered, say, Mets and Yankees games only for a smaller fee, I might consider it. (I will add that ESPN’s games are often streamed online, so I get to see a lot of teams, if not a lot of games, without paying for more than Internet service.)
    The only reason is that if I did have MLB.TV, my wife would never see me from April to November. (The only thing that football has over baseball is that you can watch every game your team plays and only lose 3 hours a week instead of 21 to 28.)

5. excatcher - Apr 23, 2010 at 4:20 PM

You can do the same thing with a HDMI cable, assuming you have a modern TV and laptop.

6. Cow Ear - Apr 23, 2010 at 4:28 PM

It took one minute to set up and is giant titties. Good quality, way better speed and interface than on the PC. For $80 a year, this is the best thing I have bought all year. Plus, I hold the controller a lot during, so it feels like I’m practically playing the damn game. After A-Rod crossed the mound, I pounded the attack button (square) and got a pretty good result, although I was hoping for more. I’ll get better, though.

7. Ryan - Apr 23, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Fellow PS3 guys might also be aware that PS3 v3.30 has the 3D capabilities. Muahahahaha.

8. tbliggins - Apr 23, 2010 at 5:20 PM

Craig,
    LOAD”SCUFF*”,8,1 is going to get you a Mike Scott game every time. You should know that.

9. Dave - Apr 23, 2010 at 6:11 PM

I used to have MLB Extra Innings on DirecTV but dropped it because it got really expensive. I also have an iPhone with the AtBat application, but I don’t want to watch full games on the tiny screen. Both my desktop and laptop computers are older, making computer viewing a hassle. Thus, I didn’t bother getting an MLB.TV subscription.
    But yesterday, as soon as I heard about it being available on the PS3, I subscribed. I watched the Red Sox game on it last night (from New York), and despite a few hiccups (it forgot to come back from commercial a couple times), it was awesome. Great quality, and love the setup and controls. And at about half the price of Extra Innings ($120 for MLB.TV Premium, $220 for Extra Innings), it’s a steal, especially with the ability to watch archived games. I love it!

10. Ryan - Apr 23, 2010 at 7:20 PM

True, but then you have to deal with the cable companies. F Comcast, Time Warner, Cox, et al.
    I’m watching a game right now (well, bp) and I’m very happy with it. The quality isn’t quite as good as I expected but the stream is far steadier than it ever dreamed of being on my computer (and my computer is no slouch). The app is really well polished IMO too. Overall, Rock and Roll. Finally something MLB comes out with that I don’t hate.

11. Kid Charlemagne - Apr 23, 2010 at 10:07 PM

I’m watching the Phillies-D’Backs game right now on my PS3, and the quality is pretty good. The audio has dropped out once or twice, and I see the occasional digital artifact, but overall it looks very nice. It’s not quite HD like you would see over the air, but it is much much better than standard def. One game I watched briefly (Braves-Mets) was standard def as far as I could tell (it was telling me it was HD, but I’m not buying that) and looked kinda crappy.
    Simon, the advantage here is that we’re quickly reaching the point where the cable subscription is unnecessary. I don’t have cable; if I have this, netflix, and Hulu, I can see almost everything I’d like to watch for less than a quarter what cable TV would cost.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet