Apr 23, 2010, 3:17 PM EDT
SportsBusiness Daily reports that Major League Baseball Advanced Media and Sony have struck a deal in which the MLB.tv package will
be available on PlayStation 3 consoles.
I have MLB.tv for the first time this year. After some initial hiccups borne of what I suspect was just a lot of first-week-of-the-season traffic, I have come to really dig it. I think you need a separate monitor to truly optimize it — I hate switching back and forth between what I’m typing and what I’m watching — but it’s a good product.
The game system thing is interesting. I’m no gamer — in terms of sophistication I topped out with my (still working) Commodore 64 — but I could see such a hookup really catching on. There are already ways of using MLB.tv with your big television, but I’m assuming that doing it through the PlayStation Network will make things a bit more seamless. Assuming you have a PlayStation anyway.
I don’t have one, but I did just now try and hook my Commodore 64 up to the TV, with a Radio Shack patch to my Internet connection. The results were mixed. The picture was awesome, but all I could pick up was a 1987 Expos-Astros game in which Neal Heaton beat Mike Scott. Damndest thing.
UPDATE: NYaT has a review of MLB.tv on PS3. The verdict: ’tis good!
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 10
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 46
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 25
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)