Apr 23, 2010, 3:17 PM EDT
SportsBusiness Daily reports that Major League Baseball Advanced Media and Sony have struck a deal in which the MLB.tv package will
be available on PlayStation 3 consoles.
I have MLB.tv for the first time this year. After some initial hiccups borne of what I suspect was just a lot of first-week-of-the-season traffic, I have come to really dig it. I think you need a separate monitor to truly optimize it — I hate switching back and forth between what I’m typing and what I’m watching — but it’s a good product.
The game system thing is interesting. I’m no gamer — in terms of sophistication I topped out with my (still working) Commodore 64 — but I could see such a hookup really catching on. There are already ways of using MLB.tv with your big television, but I’m assuming that doing it through the PlayStation Network will make things a bit more seamless. Assuming you have a PlayStation anyway.
I don’t have one, but I did just now try and hook my Commodore 64 up to the TV, with a Radio Shack patch to my Internet connection. The results were mixed. The picture was awesome, but all I could pick up was a 1987 Expos-Astros game in which Neal Heaton beat Mike Scott. Damndest thing.
UPDATE: NYaT has a review of MLB.tv on PS3. The verdict: ’tis good!
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 0
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 51
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 77
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 65
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)