Apr 24, 2010, 9:50 PM EDT
Ted Lilly was activated from the 15-day disabled list on Saturday afternoon and tossed six scoreless innings against the division rival Cubs. He should help revitalize a Chicago rotation that has lost a bit of its identity since the demotion of Carlos Zambrano to the bullpen.
Lilly went 12-9 with a career-best 3.10 ERA and a 1.06 WHIP last season for the
Cubs and was even named to the All-Star game mid-summer. He’s getting a late start this year due to back and shoulder issues that killed his ability to get ready during spring training.
In a corresponding move, reliever Jeff Samardzija was optioned to Triple-A Iowa. He has been awful this year on the big league level and the Cubs are hoping some appearances against lesser competition will boost his confidence. The club is also considering grooming him as a starter while he is down in the minor league ranks.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (159)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)