Apr 24, 2010, 12:27 PM EDT
Dioner Navarro was ejected during the sixth inning of Friday’s game against the Blue Jays for arguing balls and strikes with home plate umpire Dan Bellino. After Bellino gave him the ol’ heave-ho, Navarro gave him a nice little bump with his chest protector. MLB won’t like that.
After the game, Navarro told Bill Chastain of MLB.com that he simply lost his head.
“[Bellino] had a good strike zone tonight,” Navarro said. “I just lost it at that moment and tried to make my point, and I think I said the wrong word, and he rung me up.
“After he threw me out, I just lost my temper. I’ve got to keep calm, and I’ve got to know better than that. It was my fault, and we’ll see what happens.”
Whether he bumped Bellino on purpose or not — and it certainly appeared that he did — a suspension would put the already short-handed Rays in a temporary bind. Rookie John Jaso would be pushed to the starting role for a couple days, while utility man Sean Rodriguez would likely fill-in as the backup, according to Rays manager Joe Maddon. Fun.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (86)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)