Apr 24, 2010, 12:27 PM EDT
Dioner Navarro was ejected during the sixth inning of Friday’s game against the Blue Jays for arguing balls and strikes with home plate umpire Dan Bellino. After Bellino gave him the ol’ heave-ho, Navarro gave him a nice little bump with his chest protector. MLB won’t like that.
After the game, Navarro told Bill Chastain of MLB.com that he simply lost his head.
“[Bellino] had a good strike zone tonight,” Navarro said. “I just lost it at that moment and tried to make my point, and I think I said the wrong word, and he rung me up.
“After he threw me out, I just lost my temper. I’ve got to keep calm, and I’ve got to know better than that. It was my fault, and we’ll see what happens.”
Whether he bumped Bellino on purpose or not — and it certainly appeared that he did — a suspension would put the already short-handed Rays in a temporary bind. Rookie John Jaso would be pushed to the starting role for a couple days, while utility man Sean Rodriguez would likely fill-in as the backup, according to Rays manager Joe Maddon. Fun.
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 0
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 8
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 23
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 17
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 23
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)