Apr 24, 2010, 12:27 PM EDT
Dioner Navarro was ejected during the sixth inning of Friday’s game against the Blue Jays for arguing balls and strikes with home plate umpire Dan Bellino. After Bellino gave him the ol’ heave-ho, Navarro gave him a nice little bump with his chest protector. MLB won’t like that.
After the game, Navarro told Bill Chastain of MLB.com that he simply lost his head.
“[Bellino] had a good strike zone tonight,” Navarro said. “I just lost it at that moment and tried to make my point, and I think I said the wrong word, and he rung me up.
“After he threw me out, I just lost my temper. I’ve got to keep calm, and I’ve got to know better than that. It was my fault, and we’ll see what happens.”
Whether he bumped Bellino on purpose or not — and it certainly appeared that he did — a suspension would put the already short-handed Rays in a temporary bind. Rookie John Jaso would be pushed to the starting role for a couple days, while utility man Sean Rodriguez would likely fill-in as the backup, according to Rays manager Joe Maddon. Fun.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 13
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)