Apr 24, 2010, 12:27 PM EST
Dioner Navarro was ejected during the sixth inning of Friday’s game against the Blue Jays for arguing balls and strikes with home plate umpire Dan Bellino. After Bellino gave him the ol’ heave-ho, Navarro gave him a nice little bump with his chest protector. MLB won’t like that.
After the game, Navarro told Bill Chastain of MLB.com that he simply lost his head.
“[Bellino] had a good strike zone tonight,” Navarro said. “I just lost it at that moment and tried to make my point, and I think I said the wrong word, and he rung me up.
“After he threw me out, I just lost my temper. I’ve got to keep calm, and I’ve got to know better than that. It was my fault, and we’ll see what happens.”
Whether he bumped Bellino on purpose or not — and it certainly appeared that he did — a suspension would put the already short-handed Rays in a temporary bind. Rookie John Jaso would be pushed to the starting role for a couple days, while utility man Sean Rodriguez would likely fill-in as the backup, according to Rays manager Joe Maddon. Fun.
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 22
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 16
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 15
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)