Jeff Francoeur drives Atlanta's new "Golden Boy" to the ballpark

Apr 24, 2010, 10:45 AM EDT

Francoeur SI cover.jpgDon’t tell Craig, but according to David O’Brien of the Atlanta Journal Constitution, Jeff Francoeur drove 20-year-old phenom Jason Heyward to Citi Field on Friday night.

As O’Brien relays, Francoeur originally intended to pick up old chum Brian McCann, but when he arrived at the Manhattan hotel where the Braves were staying, Chipper Jones and Heyward also jumped in the car.

“He probably said three words the whole way over,” said Francoeur,
smiling. “He’s just sitting there. But he’s having fun. That’s the kind
of thing that’s going to allow him to have success and not go through
the rollercoaster ride that I went through. He’s very, very mature for
his age. It’s incredible.”

Looks like a little bit of Francoeur rubbed off on Heyward, as he struck out three times in four at-bats on Friday night. Whatever it takes.

1. raffy - Apr 24, 2010 at 11:08 AM

I’m not the wildest Franceour fan, but haven’t his strikeouts gone down every year he has been in the bigs?

2. James K. - Apr 24, 2010 at 11:09 AM

The Atlanta media obsession with Frenchy is really bizarre.

3. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 24, 2010 at 1:03 PM

God, I hope none of the suck rubbed off on Heyward . . .

4. Ryan - Apr 24, 2010 at 4:28 PM

You wish. What frenchy didn’t say was that he was repeating those same three words over and over again; “I got it” to every piece of batting and fielding advice Francoeur gave him. Fun while it lasted boys!

5. Utley's hair - Apr 24, 2010 at 8:18 PM

Hey Craig, Chipper was in the car and now he’s out for “more than one or two days.” Uh-oh…is this a Frenchy conspiracy in the works?

6. enough already - Apr 25, 2010 at 9:15 AM

Karma is a vengeful mistress, my friend.

7. Jacquie T - Apr 25, 2010 at 10:08 PM

I love how everyone was in full support of Francoeur when he started off this season great, but now that he’s in a bit of a slump, one that he’s pulling out of I might add, people are so quick to turn on him. Fans and commentators alike should stop being so fickle. Give the guy a chance. He’s shown that he can be a fantastic player and I personally think he is. Go Frenchie!!

8. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 26, 2010 at 7:55 AM

To be fair, I’ve been against Francoeur for a good four years now.

9. Blastings! - Apr 26, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Here’s a fair comment for Francoeur: HEY YOU KNOW YOU ARE ALLOWED NOT TO SWING AND A LOT OF TIMES UMPIRES CALL LOTS OF BALLS FORCING PITCHERS TO THROW YOU FAT PITCHES THAT YOU WITH YOUR NATURAL TALENT CAN SMASH BUT ONLY AFTER YOU SHOW PATIENCE, RIGHT? OTHERWISE YOU’RE JUST A MEDIOCRE OUTFIELDER WITH A CANNON ARM.

10. enough already - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:28 PM

I’m entirely with you on this one.
    captcha: rather titicaca.
    Are you kidding me?

11. Dave - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:44 PM

He’s a Met. Why do “fans” bash their own players, even if they’re not performing well? Never made sense to me. Maybe if people supported these guys more, they’d play better (read booing guys off of the field like buffoons). Met’s fans should take some lessons from Cardinal fans, who rarely boo their own players, even if they’re in a big OH-fer.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3417)