Apr 24, 2010, 4:49 PM EDT
UPDATE: Wood tells Eric Gilmore of MLB.com that he “felt fine” after playing catch on Saturday and is scheduled to throw a bullpen session on Sunday.
“I’ll throw off the mound again [Sunday] and continue the process.”
The Indians will likely provide a more definitive timeline on his return after he throws on Sunday.
11:56 AM: According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Kerry Wood was unhappy with the way he threw during a one-inning simulated game on Friday.
Wood is currently working his way back from a strained latissimus dorsi
muscle suffered during spring training. The Indians were set to decide whether to activate Wood from the disabled list or send him out on a minor league rehab assignment, but while the club stopped short of calling it a setback, the timeline for his return is now on hold.
Said trainer Lonnie Soloff, “the input Kerry gave us after throwing is
that he felt general soreness and a lack of sharpness. We’ll see how he
feels [Saturday] and adjust his program accordingly. He’s been
asymptomatic for five weeks.”
Wood was originally expected to miss six to eight weeks with the injury, so if he needs the full window, we might not see him until mid-May. Chris Perez has filled in as closer during his absence, posting a 4.76 ERA while going 4-for-5 in save opportunities.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 99
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 2
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 132
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (132)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)