Apr 24, 2010, 4:49 PM EST
UPDATE: Wood tells Eric Gilmore of MLB.com that he “felt fine” after playing catch on Saturday and is scheduled to throw a bullpen session on Sunday.
“I’ll throw off the mound again [Sunday] and continue the process.”
The Indians will likely provide a more definitive timeline on his return after he throws on Sunday.
11:56 AM: According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Kerry Wood was unhappy with the way he threw during a one-inning simulated game on Friday.
Wood is currently working his way back from a strained latissimus dorsi
muscle suffered during spring training. The Indians were set to decide whether to activate Wood from the disabled list or send him out on a minor league rehab assignment, but while the club stopped short of calling it a setback, the timeline for his return is now on hold.
Said trainer Lonnie Soloff, “the input Kerry gave us after throwing is
that he felt general soreness and a lack of sharpness. We’ll see how he
feels [Saturday] and adjust his program accordingly. He’s been
asymptomatic for five weeks.”
Wood was originally expected to miss six to eight weeks with the injury, so if he needs the full window, we might not see him until mid-May. Chris Perez has filled in as closer during his absence, posting a 4.76 ERA while going 4-for-5 in save opportunities.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)