Apr 24, 2010, 4:49 PM EDT
UPDATE: Wood tells Eric Gilmore of MLB.com that he “felt fine” after playing catch on Saturday and is scheduled to throw a bullpen session on Sunday.
“I’ll throw off the mound again [Sunday] and continue the process.”
The Indians will likely provide a more definitive timeline on his return after he throws on Sunday.
11:56 AM: According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Kerry Wood was unhappy with the way he threw during a one-inning simulated game on Friday.
Wood is currently working his way back from a strained latissimus dorsi
muscle suffered during spring training. The Indians were set to decide whether to activate Wood from the disabled list or send him out on a minor league rehab assignment, but while the club stopped short of calling it a setback, the timeline for his return is now on hold.
Said trainer Lonnie Soloff, “the input Kerry gave us after throwing is
that he felt general soreness and a lack of sharpness. We’ll see how he
feels [Saturday] and adjust his program accordingly. He’s been
asymptomatic for five weeks.”
Wood was originally expected to miss six to eight weeks with the injury, so if he needs the full window, we might not see him until mid-May. Chris Perez has filled in as closer during his absence, posting a 4.76 ERA while going 4-for-5 in save opportunities.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)