Apr 24, 2010, 4:49 PM EDT
UPDATE: Wood tells Eric Gilmore of MLB.com that he “felt fine” after playing catch on Saturday and is scheduled to throw a bullpen session on Sunday.
“I’ll throw off the mound again [Sunday] and continue the process.”
The Indians will likely provide a more definitive timeline on his return after he throws on Sunday.
11:56 AM: According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Kerry Wood was unhappy with the way he threw during a one-inning simulated game on Friday.
Wood is currently working his way back from a strained latissimus dorsi
muscle suffered during spring training. The Indians were set to decide whether to activate Wood from the disabled list or send him out on a minor league rehab assignment, but while the club stopped short of calling it a setback, the timeline for his return is now on hold.
Said trainer Lonnie Soloff, “the input Kerry gave us after throwing is
that he felt general soreness and a lack of sharpness. We’ll see how he
feels [Saturday] and adjust his program accordingly. He’s been
asymptomatic for five weeks.”
Wood was originally expected to miss six to eight weeks with the injury, so if he needs the full window, we might not see him until mid-May. Chris Perez has filled in as closer during his absence, posting a 4.76 ERA while going 4-for-5 in save opportunities.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)