Apr 24, 2010, 11:10 AM EDT
Angels catcher Bobby Wilson, who was making his first major league start on Friday, was forced to leave the game after being barreled over by Mark Teixeira while trying to block the plate in the third inning.
According to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times, Wilson was diagnosed with a left ankle sprain and a concussion. He was taken to an area hospital for a CT scan and X-rays.
Following the game, Teixeira expressed regret for the incident:
“I feel terrible. It makes me sick,” Teixeira said. “You never want to
hurt a guy. I was going to slide, but as soon as I saw him learning toward
me, I thought, ‘OK, he’s got the ball, I’ve got to knock it loose.’
Every time I’m in that position I try to protect myself by lowering my
Upon first glance, it doesn’t appear that the collision was necessary, but with repeated viewings you’ll see that Teixeira didn’t even recognize that the ball had ricocheted away from Wilson. Even Angels manager and former catcher
Mike Scioscia called it “a clean play.” Some Angels’ players disagree, including Torii Hunter, who said Teixeira appeared to be “on a mission,” but I really think you have to give him the benefit of the doubt here.
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 14
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 12
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 29
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (92)