Milton Bradley returns to Chicago, says things

Apr 24, 2010, 8:01 AM EDT

bradley headshot.JPGNaturally, reporters and columnists were licking their chops for Milton Bradley’s return to Chicago this weekend, so even though he didn’t play on Friday due to a sore left calf, it was awful nice of him to throw everyone a bone by continuing to say some rather silly things.

Here’s a sample, via Scot Gregor of the Arlington Daily Herald:

“As a black man playing this game, I just don’t feel like
… you know, the majority of the media is middle-aged white guys, so I
don’t think you can accurately construe what I have to say, or portray
me as who I am, because you don’t know,” Bradley said. “You don’t know
where I come from, nobody has ever asked those questions. They just see
what they see. I never carried a gun, I never hurt anybody, but I am
made out to be something I’m not.”

Not sure about you, but I’m making him out to be an injury-prone .167 hitter who has already had a couple sit-downs with manager Don Wakamatsu. Meanwhile, Carlos Silva is an improbable 2-0 with an 0.95 ERA, 0.63 WHIP and a 12/2 K/BB ratio over his first three starts with the Cubs; success that played a large part in sending Carlos Zambrano to the bullpen.

Of course, logic dictates that Silva will eventually be, well, Carlos Silva, and Bradley will start to get on base at a healthy clip, but what if that doesn’t happen? Seattle can’t be the baseball Siberia he seeks if he doesn’t start to perform. And soon.

1. Patrick - Apr 24, 2010 at 8:32 AM

Um, he has been improving. Over the last 14 days, his line is .240/.321/.440, with 8 RBI and 3 extra base hits. But still, let’s not let facts get in the way of this blog’s daily Milton Bradley column.
    Seriously guys, there are more interesting things to talk about. If he does fall out with people at Seattle, then you can do your big ‘haha, I told you so’ piece, but let’s wait until anything like that actually happens, okay?

2. stargatebabe - Apr 24, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Milton’s biggest enemies, in no particular order, are his mouth and brain! *rolls eyes*

3. Tom Shumaker - Apr 24, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Poor, misunderstood Black jerkoff!

4. Steve - Apr 24, 2010 at 10:15 AM

What a hypocrite! A “black man”??? Wtf does that have to do with anything! He has a terrible attitude so he brings race into it for pity.

5. Greg Dangerfield - Apr 24, 2010 at 10:53 AM

It’s amazing how all the other black players seem to get along within the system. Why is he the only black ballplayer so misunderstood.
    I was at the game when he was a Dodger and had his on field implosion. If he only realized how stupid he looked.

6. dp - Apr 24, 2010 at 11:00 AM

It’s all about whitey , picking an a poor black man . Milton take a look around , we have a black president , have you watched television lately ? 80 % of the commercials are dominated by blacks . This bs about whitey keeping me down is bullshit . Get a grip , be thankful God gave you the talent you have . If you stop putting a black , and white spin on everything you’ll do alot better with everyone . American people are trying to put racism in the past , it seems some blacks want to keep it alive as an excuse for some of their inequities . We’re all tired of your actions .

7. Raffy - Apr 24, 2010 at 11:06 AM

As usual, looking to blame anyone except himself.
    His act is so old.

8. Mark C - Apr 24, 2010 at 12:13 PM

He averages 11 homeruns and 45 RBI’s a year. He has a bad attitude and a big mouth. WHO CARES WHAT HE HAS TO SAY!!!

9. Go Cubbies! - Apr 24, 2010 at 2:48 PM

We think you’re a big mouth jerk. Unless you have a point and a finely honed ability for satire I don’t think your past will change that view.

10. Pistol - Apr 24, 2010 at 3:39 PM

Milton … Prison , your next stop after baseball.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3114)