Apr 24, 2010, 4:32 PM EST
Here’s a minor deal, as the Red Sox have re-acquired outfielder Jonathan Van Every from the Pirates in exchange for a player to be named later, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.
Van Every, 30, had spent the previous two seasons in the Red Sox organization before signing a minor league deal with the Pirates in January. He batted .364 with a home run and three RBI in seven games with the big club last season, including a dramatic extra-inning home run last April. Van Every will be in uniform tonight, wearing No. 44, the number most recently worn by Jason
In turn, the Red Sox have optioned outfielder Josh Reddick to Triple-A Pawtucket. As Brian McPherson of the Providence Journal points out, Reddick was unlikely to get regular at-bats over the next few days as the Red Sox are scheduled to face mostly left-handed starters.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 44
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)