Apr 24, 2010, 4:32 PM EDT
Here’s a minor deal, as the Red Sox have re-acquired outfielder Jonathan Van Every from the Pirates in exchange for a player to be named later, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.
Van Every, 30, had spent the previous two seasons in the Red Sox organization before signing a minor league deal with the Pirates in January. He batted .364 with a home run and three RBI in seven games with the big club last season, including a dramatic extra-inning home run last April. Van Every will be in uniform tonight, wearing No. 44, the number most recently worn by Jason
In turn, the Red Sox have optioned outfielder Josh Reddick to Triple-A Pawtucket. As Brian McPherson of the Providence Journal points out, Reddick was unlikely to get regular at-bats over the next few days as the Red Sox are scheduled to face mostly left-handed starters.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (161)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)