Apr 24, 2010, 4:32 PM EDT
Here’s a minor deal, as the Red Sox have re-acquired outfielder Jonathan Van Every from the Pirates in exchange for a player to be named later, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.
Van Every, 30, had spent the previous two seasons in the Red Sox organization before signing a minor league deal with the Pirates in January. He batted .364 with a home run and three RBI in seven games with the big club last season, including a dramatic extra-inning home run last April. Van Every will be in uniform tonight, wearing No. 44, the number most recently worn by Jason
In turn, the Red Sox have optioned outfielder Josh Reddick to Triple-A Pawtucket. As Brian McPherson of the Providence Journal points out, Reddick was unlikely to get regular at-bats over the next few days as the Red Sox are scheduled to face mostly left-handed starters.
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 14
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 17
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 91
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 15
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8