Apr 24, 2010, 8:34 PM EST
Roy Oswalt has left the Astros temporarily to assist his parents, who suffered damage to their home Saturday when a tornado raged through Weir, Mississippi.
Oswalt pitched on Friday, so he’s off for the early part of the upcoming week anyway. He should be back in time for his next scheduled start, Thursday against the Reds.
“He just wants to make sure everything is all right,” Astros GM Ed Wade told the Associated Press on Saturday. “I told
him to do whatever he needed to do. They lived in the house for over 40
years. He’s got a ranch that’s about 30 minutes away (in Kosciusko)
that his parents can stay at, but 40 years worth of keepsakes and things
like that, I’m sure it’s really tough on his family.”
Let’s hope all is well for the Oswalts and the counties that surround their home. Roy, 32, is 2-2 this season with a 2.42 ERA and 1.00 WHIP through his first four starts.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 22
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)