Apr 24, 2010, 8:34 PM EDT
Roy Oswalt has left the Astros temporarily to assist his parents, who suffered damage to their home Saturday when a tornado raged through Weir, Mississippi.
Oswalt pitched on Friday, so he’s off for the early part of the upcoming week anyway. He should be back in time for his next scheduled start, Thursday against the Reds.
“He just wants to make sure everything is all right,” Astros GM Ed Wade told the Associated Press on Saturday. “I told
him to do whatever he needed to do. They lived in the house for over 40
years. He’s got a ranch that’s about 30 minutes away (in Kosciusko)
that his parents can stay at, but 40 years worth of keepsakes and things
like that, I’m sure it’s really tough on his family.”
Let’s hope all is well for the Oswalts and the counties that surround their home. Roy, 32, is 2-2 this season with a 2.42 ERA and 1.00 WHIP through his first four starts.
- BLOCKBUSTER: Jon Lester and Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 2
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 33
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 53
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (112)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)