Apr 24, 2010, 8:34 PM EDT
Roy Oswalt has left the Astros temporarily to assist his parents, who suffered damage to their home Saturday when a tornado raged through Weir, Mississippi.
Oswalt pitched on Friday, so he’s off for the early part of the upcoming week anyway. He should be back in time for his next scheduled start, Thursday against the Reds.
“He just wants to make sure everything is all right,” Astros GM Ed Wade told the Associated Press on Saturday. “I told
him to do whatever he needed to do. They lived in the house for over 40
years. He’s got a ranch that’s about 30 minutes away (in Kosciusko)
that his parents can stay at, but 40 years worth of keepsakes and things
like that, I’m sure it’s really tough on his family.”
Let’s hope all is well for the Oswalts and the counties that surround their home. Roy, 32, is 2-2 this season with a 2.42 ERA and 1.00 WHIP through his first four starts.
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 2
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 38
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 59
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 70
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 44
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 48
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 30
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)