Apr 24, 2010, 8:34 PM EST
Roy Oswalt has left the Astros temporarily to assist his parents, who suffered damage to their home Saturday when a tornado raged through Weir, Mississippi.
Oswalt pitched on Friday, so he’s off for the early part of the upcoming week anyway. He should be back in time for his next scheduled start, Thursday against the Reds.
“He just wants to make sure everything is all right,” Astros GM Ed Wade told the Associated Press on Saturday. “I told
him to do whatever he needed to do. They lived in the house for over 40
years. He’s got a ranch that’s about 30 minutes away (in Kosciusko)
that his parents can stay at, but 40 years worth of keepsakes and things
like that, I’m sure it’s really tough on his family.”
Let’s hope all is well for the Oswalts and the counties that surround their home. Roy, 32, is 2-2 this season with a 2.42 ERA and 1.00 WHIP through his first four starts.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 24
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 65
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (239)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)