Apr 25, 2010, 6:11 PM EDT
Freddy Sanchez has played only 25 games in a Giants uniform despite being with the club since July 29 of last year. It was a shoulder injury that kept him sidelined in 2009 and knee surgery has him on the disabled list this month. Well, we finally have some good news on the 32-year-old second baseman.
According to the Associated Press, Sanchez has begun participating in games down at extended spring training and could rejoin the big league club in two weeks.
Sanchez is a .299/.334/.417 hitter in 2,500-plus career at-bats. He was inked to a two-year, $12 million contract extension this winter and is just about ready to show the Giants that he was worth the investment. Or, at least he’ll try.
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (109)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)