Apr 25, 2010, 6:11 PM EDT
Freddy Sanchez has played only 25 games in a Giants uniform despite being with the club since July 29 of last year. It was a shoulder injury that kept him sidelined in 2009 and knee surgery has him on the disabled list this month. Well, we finally have some good news on the 32-year-old second baseman.
According to the Associated Press, Sanchez has begun participating in games down at extended spring training and could rejoin the big league club in two weeks.
Sanchez is a .299/.334/.417 hitter in 2,500-plus career at-bats. He was inked to a two-year, $12 million contract extension this winter and is just about ready to show the Giants that he was worth the investment. Or, at least he’ll try.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)