Apr 25, 2010, 4:01 PM EDT
The Rockies placed Brad Hawpe on the 15-day disabled list Sunday, a little under 24 hours after he left a Saturday afternoon doubleheader game with discomfort in his left quadriceps. The injury was later revealed to be a strain and he’s likely to miss around three weeks.
Hawpe, 30, was off to a superb start this season with a .357/.460/.714 batting line and three home runs in 42 at-bats. His disabling is undoubtedly a big blow to the Rockies, but they do have the luxury of a highly deep outfield depth chart.
Ryan Spilborghs and Seth Smith should see increased playing time through the month of May. The Rox have also called up Eric Young Jr. from Triple-A Colorado Springs and he can play almost anywhere. The season goes on in Denver.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)