Apr 25, 2010, 4:01 PM EDT
The Rockies placed Brad Hawpe on the 15-day disabled list Sunday, a little under 24 hours after he left a Saturday afternoon doubleheader game with discomfort in his left quadriceps. The injury was later revealed to be a strain and he’s likely to miss around three weeks.
Hawpe, 30, was off to a superb start this season with a .357/.460/.714 batting line and three home runs in 42 at-bats. His disabling is undoubtedly a big blow to the Rockies, but they do have the luxury of a highly deep outfield depth chart.
Ryan Spilborghs and Seth Smith should see increased playing time through the month of May. The Rox have also called up Eric Young Jr. from Triple-A Colorado Springs and he can play almost anywhere. The season goes on in Denver.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)