Apr 25, 2010, 4:01 PM EST
The Rockies placed Brad Hawpe on the 15-day disabled list Sunday, a little under 24 hours after he left a Saturday afternoon doubleheader game with discomfort in his left quadriceps. The injury was later revealed to be a strain and he’s likely to miss around three weeks.
Hawpe, 30, was off to a superb start this season with a .357/.460/.714 batting line and three home runs in 42 at-bats. His disabling is undoubtedly a big blow to the Rockies, but they do have the luxury of a highly deep outfield depth chart.
Ryan Spilborghs and Seth Smith should see increased playing time through the month of May. The Rox have also called up Eric Young Jr. from Triple-A Colorado Springs and he can play almost anywhere. The season goes on in Denver.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 316
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (316)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)