Apr 25, 2010, 4:01 PM EDT
The Rockies placed Brad Hawpe on the 15-day disabled list Sunday, a little under 24 hours after he left a Saturday afternoon doubleheader game with discomfort in his left quadriceps. The injury was later revealed to be a strain and he’s likely to miss around three weeks.
Hawpe, 30, was off to a superb start this season with a .357/.460/.714 batting line and three home runs in 42 at-bats. His disabling is undoubtedly a big blow to the Rockies, but they do have the luxury of a highly deep outfield depth chart.
Ryan Spilborghs and Seth Smith should see increased playing time through the month of May. The Rox have also called up Eric Young Jr. from Triple-A Colorado Springs and he can play almost anywhere. The season goes on in Denver.
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 70
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 28
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 31
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (115)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer (79)