Apr 25, 2010, 5:27 PM EDT
The Brewers pulled a card out of the Cubs’ playbook on Sunday and demoted high-priced starter Jeff Suppan to the bullpen, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Anthony Witrado. The Cubs, of course, did the same thing last week with Carlos Zambrano.
Suppan posted a depressing 8.68 ERA and 2.04 WHIP in his first two starts of the season — both against the division rival Cubs — and manager Ken Macha decided this weekend that he’d seen enough. The 35-year-old right-hander is earning $12.75 million this season, his last guaranteed year in Milwaukee. He was awful this spring and probably shouldn’t have landed a spot in the rotation out of camp, but Brewers GM Doug Melvin isn’t worried about the stigma that goes with paying so much to a middle reliever.
“The investment part of it, I think people make too much of
that,” Melvin said. “People say he’s making more money so he gets more
of a chance. I think you give him a chance because the guy’s started 30
games 11 years in a row. That’s what you give the chance to. It’s got
nothing to do with the money.”
Left-hander Chris Narveson was promoted to the rotation in Suppan’s place. We’ll see how he fares Wednesday against the Pirates.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 62
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 8
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 215
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (215)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)