Apr 25, 2010, 5:27 PM EDT
The Brewers pulled a card out of the Cubs’ playbook on Sunday and demoted high-priced starter Jeff Suppan to the bullpen, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel’s Anthony Witrado. The Cubs, of course, did the same thing last week with Carlos Zambrano.
Suppan posted a depressing 8.68 ERA and 2.04 WHIP in his first two starts of the season — both against the division rival Cubs — and manager Ken Macha decided this weekend that he’d seen enough. The 35-year-old right-hander is earning $12.75 million this season, his last guaranteed year in Milwaukee. He was awful this spring and probably shouldn’t have landed a spot in the rotation out of camp, but Brewers GM Doug Melvin isn’t worried about the stigma that goes with paying so much to a middle reliever.
“The investment part of it, I think people make too much of
that,” Melvin said. “People say he’s making more money so he gets more
of a chance. I think you give him a chance because the guy’s started 30
games 11 years in a row. That’s what you give the chance to. It’s got
nothing to do with the money.”
Left-hander Chris Narveson was promoted to the rotation in Suppan’s place. We’ll see how he fares Wednesday against the Pirates.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 4
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 14
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 55
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)