Apr 25, 2010, 10:35 AM EDT
We all know what a great player Joe Mauer is, and on Saturday evening in Kansas City he built on that legend. The Twins catcher finished 5-for-6 with two RBI in Minnesota’s extra-innings victory over the Royals. It was his third career five-hit game and the 14th time Mauer has tallied four-plus hits.
Mauer, 27, signed a massive $184 million contract extension this spring, but it hasn’t slowed him down one bit. In fact, he’s off to the one of the best starts of his career, batting .381/.453/.571 with seven doubles, a triple and 12 RBI through 63 at-bats.
The Twins, for those who dabble in the value of standings this early in the season, are 13-5 and sit comfortably atop the American League Central. With the White Sox struggling mightily and a Detroit pitching staff that includes Dontrelle Willis, the Twins have a real opportunity to run away with that division.
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 0
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 6
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 24
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (114)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)