A-Rod is the slowest home run trotter on the Yankees

Apr 26, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT

Friend of the blog lar from Wezen-Ball has been keeping track of how long it takes hitters to circle the bases after hitting home runs. The feature — The Tater Trot Tracker — is all kinds of fun, and since he started it I find myself mentally timing home run trots and then going and checking it to see if I’m right. Today lar’s work is featured at the Wall Street Journal, which notes that Alex Rodriguez has the slowest home run trot on the Yankees.

Of course it’s understanding that he takes so long given that he has to stop and dance around on Dallas Braden’s mound and everything.

1. mike - Apr 26, 2010 at 8:57 AM

But A-Rod’s HRs left the park seconds faster than everyone elses so it all balances out in the end.

2. lar @ wezen-ball - Apr 26, 2010 at 9:12 AM

Thanks, Craig!
    Though it should be noted that, except for where I’m specifically cited, the work in that article is their own research into the 2009 home runs hit by current Yankees. I only have the 2010 data right now. As much as I’d like to, I can’t really go back and look at all 4000+ home runs hit last year.
    Still, pretty exciting… (now if someone who lives in NYC can verify that it actually printed, that’d be cool… the copy I just bought out here doesn’t have it; I hear it’s in the new “city edition”, or something)

3. Francois - Apr 26, 2010 at 9:23 AM

What a fascinating piece. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ. You obviously have too much time too waste with the creativity and personality of an iguana. Always picking on A-rod. Your next article will blame him for the slow pace of Yankee games because of his slow trotting around the bases. Get a life!

4. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 26, 2010 at 9:24 AM

How to tell newer readers: they are completely unaware of the thousands of words I’ve spent actually defending A-Rod over the years.

5. Spice - Apr 26, 2010 at 9:25 AM

will it also warrant space in your blog if he proves to be the slowest eater? The fastest in the shower?

6. YankeesfanLen - Apr 26, 2010 at 9:36 AM

This is indeed in home-delivered WSJ copies, it’s the section called New York Metro that gets distribued to the Tri-
    state area.
    Now, maybe ARod could hit a few more homers to expand the sample size..

7. ditmars1929 - Apr 26, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Wow, Craig, you really know how to break important news. This must explain why you’re not a lawyer anymore.

8. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 26, 2010 at 9:40 AM

ditmars: so the Wall Street Journal is no longer considered a legitimate arbiter of what is news? Huh.
    And can you tell me where in this blog’s rules it is written that I need only confine myself to “important news?” Oh wait, it must be implied, because after all, if I waste all of the scarce internet space on unimportant stuff there will be no room for real news . . .

9. lar @ wezen-ball - Apr 26, 2010 at 9:58 AM

Thanks, Len. That’s what I figured. Glad to hear it, even if it doesn’t help me out here.
    Don’t forget, those numbers (and the pretty chart) are based off 2009 homers, so the sample size is plenty. Now, if he’d hit a few more this year so we could verify the readings across two years, that’d be nice.
    But if 24 seconds holds out as his average speed, it’s gonna be nowhere near as slow as some of the current leaders (you can see the list at the site… Jose Guillen and Miguel Cabrera are the worst repeat-offenders so far)

10. ditmars1929 - Apr 26, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Craig, I think you missed my point, which I should have stressed a bit more, I’ll admit.
    I started reading your material at ShysterBall. I enjoyed your wit and humor as a blogger and understood that it was just a hobby and passion of yours. I followed you over to The Hardball Times for the same reason. Then I followed you over here to Hardball Talk, where you are now what seems to be a full time writer. You are now in a position to focus all of your time on writing about baseball, right? I’m assuming that, being employed by NBC Sports, you now have access to teams, players, management, etc., as opposed to just spouting off your opinions as a blogger about things you find amusing.
    I still appreciate your wit and humor, but now that you are a full time writer with press credentials, etc., I’d expect you to actually break news that matters. As for the Wall Street Journal – a fine publication and arbiter of news if you’re a business man, but name one person who relies on the WSJ for their sports news. Seriously, that’s a dumb comment on your part.
    I don’t mean to offend you, Craig, but I’m just expecting real news from you. I still appreciate your humor, however.

11. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 26, 2010 at 10:24 AM

I guess I understand where you’re coming from, Ditmars, but the reason I was able to get this job is because people who were in the position to hire me read and liked what I did before, just as you did. If that was the basis for hiring me, why then, would they or anyone else expect me to suddenly start doing new things? I am an opinion writer who uses a lot of humor and sometimes likes to highlight the frivolous and absurd. It’s what I’ve always done.
    And to be clear: I have broken a bit of news since the full time gig started. But it’s not my focus, nor is it expected to be.

12. YankeesfanLen - Apr 26, 2010 at 10:45 AM

Lar-
    Maybe if they are 2009 numbers, Miguel stopped at second base for a beer or something. Just kidding, Tigers are my 2nd favorite team.

13. Bull Durham - Apr 26, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Why does every post here have to include some sort of comment analyzing whether it is or is not worthy of our attention? It’s a freakin’ blog! I didn’t realize there was some sort of newsworthiness standard that must be met.

14. ditmars1929 - Apr 26, 2010 at 10:56 AM

Understood, Craig. I know that you’re an opinion writer, and the frivolous and fluffy stuff is fine, but I was hoping for more insight since I assumed you had more access with NBC credentials to break news. Or, perhaps, my comments are the result of me living in NYC and being a Yankee fan. I get enough ARod bullshit from my local newspapers. I’m sure you’d understand that.
    No offense intended. I understand you are a fan of, shall we say, the brown beverages, so let’s each pour one at five o’clock and toast the monitor in friendship. How’s that?

15. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 26, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Works for me, ditmars.

16. AJ Gallo - Apr 26, 2010 at 11:26 AM

My goodness, regardless of the “frivolous and fluffy” motive for some of these blogs, I really shake my head at just how extraordinarily “frivolous and fluffy” something like this is truly. I personally would expect a little less of that extreme and a little more of what I would call hard news from one who would present themselves as a serious journalist. I understand your point about your past M.O. regarding the past nature of your writings, but I would think there should be a time when you should evolve and move on, and up, from that. That approach, I would think anyway, would seem to be a little more indicative of what should primarily be your journalistic style. If you think I’m wrong in my assertion, then I apologize.

17. Pilothawkeye - Apr 26, 2010 at 11:47 AM

I really don’t care how long any batter takes to circle the bases after ‘going yard’. It is those who stand at the plate and admire their shot that irks me. I do remember Mickey Mantle when answering a reporter’s question as to why he puts his head down and runs around the bases after hitting a home run, saying; “I don’t want to embarass the pitcher”. All of sports today is about chest thumping and “me, me, me”. While we are talking about Yankee home runs, Robbie Cano needs to stop admiring his shots, for not all the ones he admires go out.

18. AJ Gallo - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Even though I’m a Yankee fan, I couldn’t agree more about Robbie Cano. But the most egregious player I’ve seen in recent years who time after time after time stupidly stands at the plate and admires everything he hits to the outfield is Alfonso Soriano. He has turned many a triple into a double or a double into a single.

19. Evan - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:20 PM

If I thought this had any impact on the pace of the game, I would probably care. That said, I’m sure the differences between players are miniscule and that a long homerun trot has no effect. No big deal.

20. Charles Gates - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:21 PM

It’s easy to break the news. Something happened to somebody at some time. It’s like MadLibs. Just fill in the blanks. You can find news anywhere. It doesn’t take much talent to write it. Gathering sources, sure, but the actual formula, not so much.
    I come here for the opinions and commentary. It takes a special brand of intelligence and wit to keep me interested. The day this blog focuses entirely on the black and white of what happened instead of various shades of grey, highlighted with humor and off beat references, I’ll stop coming. I found this post more so a jab at those who poke fun, mostly for no reason, at ARod than ARod himself. I don’t think this one will win Craig any awards, but I enjoyed it, and I’ll come back because of it.
    That being said, can I join ya’ll for a beer at 5 o’clock?

21. CalinCT - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:24 PM

Of course, A-rod was also the only Yankee recovering from HIP SURGERY in 2009, too. :)
    Still, I’d expect he’d be faster than Posada, at least.

22. pat - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:27 PM

How does he compare with players around the league who had hip labrum surgery last year?

23. pat - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:43 PM

“And can you tell me where in this blog’s rules it is written that I need only confine myself to “important news?”
    It is one of the unwritten rules of blogging. Dallas Braden said so, David Wells says you’re full of (it) if you say you don’t know that and Tony LaRussa says good for ditmars for calling you out on it.

24. ditmars1929 - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:51 PM

I see what you’re saying, Charles. And I’ll see you at five o’clock. But it’s bourbon, not beers!

25. jamie - Apr 26, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I can not beleive this topic has so many comments. You people need to get a job, and by you people I mean yankees fans

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win