Cubs, White Sox to play for a trophy

Apr 26, 2010, 10:11 AM EDT

The Mediocrity Cup?

Multiple sources tell the Tribune that during a Monday morning news
conference, the Cubs and White Sox will announce a new tradition — a
trophy (and the public bragging rights) to the club which wins the
annual city series between them. We’re told a tiebreaker is in place
should the teams split the six games 3-3.

This is very Big Ten football, where teams play for things like big axes, wooden turtles,* brown jugs and the like.  The common denominator in all of these trophy rivalries? They’re pretty damn lopsided.

If the Cubs-White Sox rivalry follows the same pattern, one team will be taking home the Bronze Bratwurst, the Copper Crappy Pizza or the Golden Graft or whatever the hell they settle on at least two-thirds of the time.

*The Illibuck loomed much larger for me when I was an Ohio State undergrad because Illinois beat Ohio State three out of the four years I was there. The one year we had it, it sat on the floor in the corner of the Honors House, where I would occasionally study before a class I had across the street. One day I looked at it for a while, thinking how silly the thing was. Then, for about a minute, I thought that it would be a good idea to steal it. It would have been simple. No one else was there and I was sure I could get it back to my apartment without anyone noticing. Then I remembered the talking-to Greg Brady got from Mr. Brady after stealing the Coolidge High goat, thought better of it and went on to class. I think to think that decision represented a point of divergence in some fascinating alternate personal history, but that would be even lamer than stealing the wooden turtle.

1. ChrisKol - Apr 26, 2010 at 10:35 AM

Let’s not forget about the Pearson Cup and The All-Canadian Series, Craig.

2. Simon DelMonte - Apr 26, 2010 at 11:12 AM

NYC used to have the Mayor’s Trophy game, though that was strictly on an exhibition basis.
    I can’t see anyone reviving that these days, given that almost everyone who plays on both the Mets and Yankees tries to downplay the Subway Series games. And that no one would want to take the chance in the Bronx of making George super-angry in the unlikely event that the Mets win the trophy. And because at least one team always has its eye on a more important trophy.

3. BC - Apr 26, 2010 at 11:24 AM

This is probably my favorite:

4. seattle matt - Apr 26, 2010 at 11:41 AM

the trophy should be either a chamberpot or a toilet seat.

5. Anon!Mice! - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Law school is home to people without the courage to do what they really want to do and without the imagination to think of anything better to do. By changing careers you have, in fact, stolen that turtle.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5352)