Despite solid start, Wakefield still bullpen bound

Apr 26, 2010, 9:43 AM EDT

In his final start before giving way to Daisuke Matsuzaka in the Red Sox’s rotation, Tim Wakefield held the Orioles to two runs over 6.2 innings Sunday and afterward indicated that he’s unhappy about the impending move to the bullpen.
Terry Francona quickly tried to bring some calm to the situation by saying: “This is not us turning him into a reliever, this is us putting him in the bullpen until he starts again.”
While true in the sense that Wakefield will almost surely be back in the rotation as soon as the Red Sox need a fill-in for whatever reason, there are no actual plans for that in place.
Wakefield heads to the bullpen at 0-1 with a 5.40 ERA, .288 opponents’ batting average, and 16/8 K/BB ratio in 25 innings and Matsuzaka is scheduled to take his spot Saturday against those same Orioles after looking good on a rehab assignment.

1. Joey B - Apr 26, 2010 at 11:08 AM

Tough break for one of the good guys. As a RS fan, and as a Wake fan, I’d have made the same move.
    Still, how often do the RS not need a #6 for at least 25 starts. I’m not sure Wake is capable of making 25 starts anymore. If the RS give Wake 25 or less starts, I’ll consider it very fortunate indeed.

2. BC - Apr 26, 2010 at 11:17 AM

I’m not a RS fan, but I’ve always liked Wake. Classy guy, does whatever’s needed. I’d like to see him pitch until he’s 50. I hope this year isn’t the end for him.
    Though he’s about 3 lousy Dice-K starts from being back in the rotation I figure.

3. APBA Guy - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:08 PM

Notice how teams always try to start their returning/freshly promoted pitchers against the Orioles?

4. GimmeSomeSteel - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:25 PM

There’s a good reason for that, and it isn’t “that’s just how the schedule worked out”. However, it would be rude to say what the reason is (the O’s aren’t very good right now), so nothing is said.

5. Nasty Boy - Apr 26, 2010 at 5:15 PM

It won’t take Dice-k(Pillsbury Doughboy) long to show he doesn’t fit. They really got beat up on this bum . It couldn’t happen to a team more deserving . I hope these Cubans they’re signing take a crap on them also . Go sux , straight to the bottom .

6. Pistol - Apr 27, 2010 at 12:10 PM

How about Beckett’s 7.22 era ? He’s the one that should be going to the bullpen . Theo , you made another brilliant move with Beckett’s contract . Between Dice-k , and Beckett , you’ve done wonders for that so-called pitching staff . Keep up the good work .

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey