Former Nats pitcher Mike Bacsik is a racist

Apr 26, 2010, 9:12 AM EST

Mike Bacsik.jpgRemember Mike Bacsik? He was the guy who served up home run number 756 to Barry Bonds back in 2007. Back in January he was accused by former teammate Tim Redding of grooving the pitch to Bonds, which caused a minor dustup. Bacsik came out of that looking OK, though, because it turns out that Redding has often been a jerk to teammates and, hey, Bacsik is just some ex-pitcher trying to make a living on the radio.

Turns out that Bacsik is the bigger jerk, however, as yesterday he tweeted the following after the San Antonio Spurs beat the Dallas Mavericks: “Congrats to all the dirty Mexicans in San Antonio.”  The tweet was almost immediately deleted, but nothing ever dies on the Internet.

A lot of people thought Bacsik served up the homer to Bonds in an effort to make a little living for himself out on the memorabilia circuit. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that he’s not going to be invited to sign “Mike Bacsik #756″ on worthless baseball cards anytime soon.

115 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. karma - Apr 27, 2010 at 3:33 PM

Are you really serious Chris? If you’re going to break this down and argue semantics and define each word seperately, then you’re failing to see the big picture because you just don’t want to.
    Open up your mind. Racist discrimination does not relate to only the 4 races in the world. If you want to get technical about it, i suggest you do some reading on the subject matter. There are quite a few definitions of the word racist and it is a complex and very researched social ill. Racial discrimination can be based not only on race, but also skin color (especially within subgroups), ethnicity, nationality, cultural background, & religion.
    “dirty Mexican” is a common racial slur amongst the Mexican & Mexican American community, for anyone to break it down word for word…dirty, mexican – you’re ignoring the point. Ignorance is bliss for some people, i guess.
    Furthermore…this is one tweet, but how many degrading comments has he made about people before finally getting caught? There is a research study regarding drunk driving…drunk drivers will admit to having driven drunk hundreds of times before getting caught. I’m sure that even if he didn’t tweet it or say it aloud…Bacsik, like all other humans, is a creature of habit. He has probably habitually said/thought such types of things many times over. He just now got caught.
    I would say, he is racist and if he wants to hide behind the fact that he was drunk…that is no better! Just makes him a drunken racist.

2. The Rabbit - Apr 27, 2010 at 4:15 PM

As a blonde female, let me say that I don’t believe blonde jokes fall into the same realm as the racial slur quoted.
    To quote Dolly Parton, a blonde female who has had more than her fair share of “jokes” directed at her: “I’m not offended by blonde jokes because I know I’m not dumb…and I’m not a blonde.”
    I’ll also point out that I’m a big fan of free speech. Please let’s not censor the bigots and racists. I want to know who my enemies are….which I keep in mind when I vote and where I spend my money.

3. WhiteMaleAmerican - Apr 27, 2010 at 7:12 PM

Ok, ok, all you ignorant people… I am here to tell you that YES, this fool is racist and if you think this comment is “no big deal”, you are kidding yourself.
    Besides, us White Americans are the dirtiest of em all, so I am offended that this Bitchaskik guy didn’t include us.
    We are dirtier because we lack the pigments…. dirt is all we got, us victims of evolution, us WHITE FOLK….

4. Ben J - Apr 28, 2010 at 12:29 PM

Amen Brother!!!!

5. trampslikeus - Apr 29, 2010 at 11:52 AM

so there are people amongst us who are racist. And water is wet. I mean c’mon people…why is this news? Why do some people have such a need to so strongly condemn garbage like this? And with so much vehemence. Methinks thou doth protest too much.

6. trampslikeus - Apr 29, 2010 at 11:57 AM

Can’t prove it, but my gut tells me that the people who “care” are the ones who have something to prove to themselves. They want everyone to know THEY are not racist, so they have to react, and in the strongest possible terms, to this crap. So there are racist people in the world…is that a new concept, Craig? Why is it so important to react to this jerkoff bum whose name I already forgot?

7. kranepool - Apr 30, 2010 at 12:19 PM

Craig who say nasty things about the NY Mets any chance you get. I guess that makes you an Anti-Met-iet

8. OC70 - May 1, 2010 at 1:13 AM

Emanuel Ginobili is from Argentina, so while he might not be a “dirty mexican” he is indeed Hispanic. And while we are at it, Tim Duncan is from St Croix, USVI (Yes, part of the USA, but a world away) and Tony Parker and Ian Mahinmi are from France. That’s it.,

9. Mark - May 2, 2010 at 2:48 PM

@tom
    “We have to make sure those 750K Mexicans sleep easy tonight..”
    As a white guy with no Mexican blood, I would make the calculation that treating three quarters of a billion Mexicans (one-tenth of the human race) with the same respect you and I are implicitly accorded IS more important than some ex-jock who had a nondescript swingman career keeping his radio job. Basic respect is something that has sadly gone out of style among conservatives (and among some liberals too) in recent years. Thanks for bringing up that angle.
    And I just have to chime in on something else here. Being “racist” is neither an all or nothing thing, nor is it something that renders a person without worth. People usually learn racism from their families and the cultural environment they are in. It’s usually born out of a sense of diminished self-worth of those holding the beliefs. Kind of a “yeah, we’re down on our luck but look at these people, we’re better than them”. My compassion goes out to the Bacsik family concerning their low opinion of themselves, and I hope that they are bolstering their self-esteem some during this life. Putting down others isn’t generally a very enduringly effective way of doing that however, contrary to the beliefs of many. I’m sure Mike Bacsik has some redeeming qualities to him as a person. But he shouldn’t be on the air if this the way he’s going to talk about his fellow human beings.
    And that gets to another thing that needs saying. I find it really bizarre that these kind of comments get treated by many as some “random synapse firing” in the speaker’s brain, and they “don’t really feel that way about X type of people”. Where does the comment supposedly come from? It’s like saying, “the only shame that 6M Jews went to the gas chambers is that they missed the ones who scampered off to NYC”, and then saying, “oh, it was a bad choice of words, I misspoke, I was inarticulate, etc…”. If it comes out, it came from somewhere inside, no? Whose brain or heart does a phrase like “dirty Mexicans” come from if it comes out of Mike Bacsik’s mouth? I can’t imagine.

10. Wade - May 4, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Free country………..isn’t it?

11. Ed - May 11, 2010 at 3:01 AM

Agree with Wade !!!
    At Least Our Country “use to be” that way !!!

12. Flexxolicious - May 12, 2010 at 7:36 PM

God forbid you say anything negative about any race other than white, you are the most evil man in America. Why would this sports writer waste his time with this is beyond me. There are 750k hispanics in SA???? Good thing 99.9% of them dont speak any English, and 80% are probably illegal anyways. Forget about what this guy said on his twitter page, how about MY tax money going to 56 kids they pop out??? That is not a crime, but if you write something negative in the heat of the moment on your TWITTER PAGE that is enough to get you a death sentence. Worthless writer go write something sports related you TWIT.

13. ALL CAPS ALL STAR - May 17, 2010 at 4:43 PM

guy is a racist – its not even debatable.
    if you make a comment like that and think it was funny, then you’re a dumb racist.
    if you think there’s no problem with a comment like that, go grab your klan hat and burn some crosses, because your a closet racist.
    nothing new in these comments that hasn’t been discussed or mentioned since the country was founded. the color of skin and nationality changes as one minority is ‘accepted’ into the fabric of the nation. so do yourself a favor and shut up – you’re embarrassing yourself.

14. oscar barreda sr. - May 22, 2010 at 4:10 PM

For the(Ihave a dictionary of words to call him) that said “send
    them back to mexico”, sure I will go back to mexico if you and all
    th ….go back to where you came from, a racist mex.

15. dannydel - May 23, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Texas will be part of meico soon anyway. Every mexican family has about 10 kids so whats your point/

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester