Former Nats pitcher Mike Bacsik is a racist

Apr 26, 2010, 9:12 AM EDT

Mike Bacsik.jpgRemember Mike Bacsik? He was the guy who served up home run number 756 to Barry Bonds back in 2007. Back in January he was accused by former teammate Tim Redding of grooving the pitch to Bonds, which caused a minor dustup. Bacsik came out of that looking OK, though, because it turns out that Redding has often been a jerk to teammates and, hey, Bacsik is just some ex-pitcher trying to make a living on the radio.

Turns out that Bacsik is the bigger jerk, however, as yesterday he tweeted the following after the San Antonio Spurs beat the Dallas Mavericks: “Congrats to all the dirty Mexicans in San Antonio.”  The tweet was almost immediately deleted, but nothing ever dies on the Internet.

A lot of people thought Bacsik served up the homer to Bonds in an effort to make a little living for himself out on the memorabilia circuit. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that he’s not going to be invited to sign “Mike Bacsik #756″ on worthless baseball cards anytime soon.

115 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Kody - Apr 26, 2010 at 11:56 AM

Atta boy Mike!! Keep it real!!

2. DG - Apr 26, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I listen to The Ticket. Part of their schtick is to make clearly inappropriate comments. It’s sort of like shock-jock behavior except you pretty much know they are not serious. They also have drops with inappropriate snippets that they play frequently. Often these are even taken out of context just to (inaccurately) make somebody look bad as a joke. In addition, often I take the seemingly inappropriate comments as poking fun at the inappropriate perspective (e.g. racists and racism).
    I doubt it in this case but it is *possible* that his comment was intended along these lines or even mirrors one of the drops. (I recall a “truckload of Mexicans” drop but not a “dirty Mexicans” drop.)

3. Let's all get offended by something today, shall we? - Apr 26, 2010 at 11:59 AM

ok. So it was a stupid statement, which he seems to have recognized immediately. But dang… we in this country look and look for ANYTHING to be offended by, don’t we?!?

4. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Just let me get this straight: it’s cool when a guy in the media says racist stuff, but it’s when liberals point it out that the racial tension gets “stoked?” Just want to be clear about that.
    And so far we have Charles Barkley and Obama’s NSC guy. Anyone want to point out any baseball players or figures to whom I’ve exhibited double standards? Want to search “Torii Hunter” in the blogs search engine to the upper right and ask again how disingenuous I’m being?
    I am utterly flabbergasted at the mental gymnastics people feel they need to go through in order to avoid calling something for what it is: Bacsik said something ugly and racist. You may not care, and that’s fine, but defenses of him that are either direct (“he was just mad”) or indirect (“but, but, this liberal said something racist once too!”) are just kind of sad.

5. Mark - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Craig, I don’t mind that you posted this or opined about it but the headline is unfair unless you know Bacsik in which case you should provide more evidence. Lord knows, there have been many times in my life where you could paint me a racist or worse if you overheard conversations I’ve had. I think people who know me would tell you I am not racist. That Bacsik tweeted this makes him an idiot, not a racist.

6. Dave - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:03 PM

I know people that work with Mike Bacsik at The Ticket. I happen to know that the section of Dallas he lives in has the highest per capita Hispanic population in the entire city. Believe me there are few racist individuals if any that would ever consider living anywhere close to where Mike resides. Does this prove he’s not racist? No. Just like a one time stupid tweet doesn’t prove he is.

7. Joey B - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:05 PM

“Do you really think that Mexicans or African Americans don’t make “racist” comments about others amongst themselves?!?! So, mostly, he’s stupid – which is what you would expect.”
    That’s about the size of it. Virtually every joke ever made will insult someone. The impression I get is that you can tell Irish jokes, Polish, Italian, Catholic jokes, etc., with impunity. Maybe you can occasionally get away with a Jewish joke. Black and Latino jokes will get you fired.
    Having said that, Bacsik should know the rules. While it is unfair, it isn’t unexpected.

8. Joe M - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Another liberal NBC idiot using race as something more than it is. How come its the libs that bring race into everything?
    Amazing fools

9. Craig - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:07 PM

Uh, how is it possible to OVER-react to the phrase “dirty Mexicans???” It’s a clear racist statement, either consciously (i.e. he wanted to insult Mexicans) or unconsciously (i.e. he wanted to insult San Antonians and felt that the most insulting thing he could call them was an ethnic slur).
    Anyone doing either has a lot of racism in him. Does that mean he is a racist all the time to anyone he meets? Not necessarily. Does it mean he’s DEMONSTRATED that he thinks in a deeply racist fashion at least some of the time. Certainly.

10. Justin - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Craig, just want to say, this is clearly a racist act. It doesn’t surprise me anymore when random folks are racist, but it makes me shake my head when people bend over backwards to defend racism. What are you folks getting out of it? And, your political points are irrelevant, as Craig didn’t rail on Bacsik for being conservative (I have no clue whether or not he is).
    He’s a former baseball player who said something that was messed up. And “who cares?” A lot of folks who have to live with such slurs.

11. Don in Dallas - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:11 PM

This is so not a story to be addressed in this forum. I’m finished reading Craig’s crap. Bye!

12. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Sorry to see you go, Don. Now I’ll have to live without your memos about what stories I may and may not address in this forum.

13. Evan - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:16 PM

Craig, I think you’re really stretching on this one.
    For someone to be a racist, they need to do more than utter a single “PG-13″ sterotype. Could what he said be considered racist? Maybe. Does that mean HE is a racist? No.
    Racism has more to do with actions than words. If this was part of a pattern of behavior and/or sound bites, I might agree with you. Because this is the first time we’ve heard about it, we shouldn’t be drawing any conclusions and its irresponsible to toss out serious accusations.

14. Jonny5 - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Alright Ace, ya kinda caught me trying bait a couple of self righteous cats that post here, for my non-understanding nature of how some people can say the names Braves/ indians is blantant racism. Yes I was cursed by one and told I should Shut the “f” up, told I was “displaying an overinflated sense of self worth/self esteem and a genuine lack of self awareness; therefore, it doesn’t matter to you if people think you’re an idiot.” Which he also envied????????? By another. I was just seeing if this would garner as much discontempt, which it hasn’t. I do see the racism here, afterall because it is, I needed no explanation from Craig, which he was gracious enough to empart his wisdom (thanks Craig) ,instead of lashing out like they did. Does this tell me something seeing no similar reaction??? Is it ok to be racist towards some races but not others? I’m thinking it may be (I’m learning) See the one guy thought it would be perfectly fine to call a team the honkies since “The word “Honky” is widely considered a joke and has been rarely been accepted as a perjorative.” Yeah, so already white people are on the list of “it’s ok to use racial slurs against list” soon to be added are mexican people I guess…..

15. okobojicat - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:25 PM

Craig, you’re 100% correct that conservatives attacking D’s for noting that often people say racist things is ridiculous. That said, if you’re a public figure you shouldn’t promote racist jokes (however funny you think James Jones is, or not).
    And when I said “we shouldn’t be talking about it” I meant on this blog. I really don’t care what idiotic thing a former National reliever said about a sport that which I don’t give a rats ass about. This is a baseball blog. How does what he say impact anything in this season? Is this going to change how quickly Strasborg gets called up? Are the Rangers going to trade for Joakim Soria just so they can have a Mexican on their team and obviously not endorse the things former idiot relievers say?
    This is stupid. We, as a blogger and a blog community shouldn’t be talking about it.

16. chris - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:27 PM

I don’t understand how anyone in his or her right mind could defend what the guy said or claim it doesn’t show he’s racist.
    You’re either the most innocent/ignorant person alive or you’re full of crap.
    It wasn’t even an insensitive joke. There’s absolutely no way to take it except that it was a mean-spirited racist comment.

17. brandon - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:27 PM

Bacsik IS a racist. I have very good first hand info on him and his reaction after Bonds hit 756. There were many many times I heard him say very racist things and called Bonds a ton of names, as well as former manger Frank Robinson. I also witnessed Bacsik smoking weed outside a virginia bar after a game. I hate this guy for what he stood for and his actions as a pro player. Trust me if it is something negative about this guy, it is probably true!

18. Jonny5 - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Look Craig, as you already know (I’m sure since you’re a smart guy) Any time you bring up racism and pick a side you’ll be called out by others in a bad way who don’t agree. It’s politics but nastier and way more personal. Just don’t pick a side and it’ll be way easier for you. You of all people (A braves fan) have no room to talk about racism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I’m now foaming at the mouth with spittle on my screen, thank you. ;>P

19. Largebill - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:41 PM

The point being missed is no one is defending him or his comment. Some of our comments were because it seemed the title of the post was over the top. He said something stupid. However, the title of the post made assumptions about his character and applied a label to him that never goes away. Once you’re labeled a racist that sticks with you forever. He may be the most vile racist person in the country, but one stupid twitter sentence (that he quickly regretted and deleted) is not sufficient evidence of that to give him a permanent label. If there is a pattern then that is another matter. A year ago, when one woman accused Roethlisberger I was skeptical knowing how rich athletes can be targets. When multiple women accused him of similar behavior I became much less skeptical. Heck, I’m a Browns fan and even I gave him the benefit of the doubt on the first one, but now I have to believe “she said NO!” I don’t know Bacsik from a hole in the ground (I think he was with the Indians for a couple weeks) and have no reason to believe he is an enlightened good guy or to think he is a racist jerk.
    Craig,
    I do apologize for bringing up your political viewpoint in my comment about the foolish National Security Adviser. It was a clumsy attempt to make the point that someone like that who has been on the world stage for decades should be held to a tougher or more exacting standard than some idiot ex-jock with a radio show.

20. Bill - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:41 PM

Craig,
    However true your observations might be, did you really need to write a story about it? In other words, are any of us better off for learning about some obscure racist pitcher? Seriously?? All your story did, was bring to the surface some fodder for people to lash out about. Just another thing for people to argue about. Maybe I’m the only one, but I’m tired of all the hatred and bickering in the world. Why don’t we try writing articles that will bring people together, not tear them apart.

21. Cru11 - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:44 PM

Does this incident get me off the hook for my harmless Colt.45-Ron Washington comment? Leniency!

22. Billy - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:48 PM

Read a more in depth review of the situation here…

23. EAG - Apr 26, 2010 at 12:56 PM

Why are we talking about a former MLB pitcher making a drunk comment on twitter about the NBA? Isn’t this supposed to be commentary from “the best baseball minds at nbcsports.com?” Did I stumble on the US Weekly website? Pathetic.

24. RUKiddingMe - Apr 26, 2010 at 1:01 PM

I admire those who read Mike Bacsik’s tweet and then take exception to the ‘racist’ label attached to him and his comment. Perhaps you are defending what you see in yourselves. I’ve never been to San Antonio and can’t speak with confidence on break down of the population demographics. I suspect that there is also a fair representation of Caucasians, Asians, African Americans etc in greater San Antonio; so it begs the question why did Mike Bacsik single out Mexicans and then sprinkle on the word dirty for good measure. Were there no dirty caucasians who were also celebrating the Spurs win, that he wanted to send a shout out to? I think it’s fair to conclude that Mike Bacsik harbors some truly negative feelings about Mexicans and this sort of generalization would make him a racist. What is truly puzzeling beyond the defense of Mr Bacsik by some, is that he would have such a thought, pick up a mobile device, move his fingers across the key pad and hit send. His feelings were too powerful for reason or his own self interest to give him pause. This is America where the freedom of speech is the bedrock of our freedoms….somewhere down that list is the freedom to remove a tweet and hope no one read it…..that last pitch was a bit outside Mike, and we all saw it.

25. dirty mexican - Apr 26, 2010 at 1:02 PM

I honestly believe that for anglos to justify racist comments as anything else is absolutely ludicrous. What is in your heart always surfaces and materializes into verbal words. So for you to justify such behavior as no “big deal”, is what keeps this great county in such a chaotic mess. So please monitor your words people have feelings. And if this comment had been directed to you, or any ethnic group believe me, they would also have their “panties in a wad”.
    This reminds me of the nurse in pediatrics who tried to change a birth certificate of a hispanic baby’s race to read “mexican” because it read “white” when she was informed that mexicans were a white race she almost resigned her position, sorry anglos we are a white race. “CAN’T WE JUST GET ALONG”?

Pitching duel highlights Game 1 of WS