Former Nats pitcher Mike Bacsik is a racist

Apr 26, 2010, 9:12 AM EDT

Mike Bacsik.jpgRemember Mike Bacsik? He was the guy who served up home run number 756 to Barry Bonds back in 2007. Back in January he was accused by former teammate Tim Redding of grooving the pitch to Bonds, which caused a minor dustup. Bacsik came out of that looking OK, though, because it turns out that Redding has often been a jerk to teammates and, hey, Bacsik is just some ex-pitcher trying to make a living on the radio.

Turns out that Bacsik is the bigger jerk, however, as yesterday he tweeted the following after the San Antonio Spurs beat the Dallas Mavericks: “Congrats to all the dirty Mexicans in San Antonio.”  The tweet was almost immediately deleted, but nothing ever dies on the Internet.

A lot of people thought Bacsik served up the homer to Bonds in an effort to make a little living for himself out on the memorabilia circuit. I’m going to go out on a limb here and say that he’s not going to be invited to sign “Mike Bacsik #756″ on worthless baseball cards anytime soon.

115 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. Shever - Apr 26, 2010 at 1:15 PM

Sooooooo……. he should take back his congrats to all the dirty Mexicans in san antonio?
    We are all racists. Minorities crying for free stuff do it based on the unfair circumstances they are subjected to, solely based on their race, right? So they are racists! We all look out for our own kind first, its a basic instinct! Duh!
    Admit it, we are all racist…..

2. Tomadams - Apr 26, 2010 at 1:18 PM

Could have been a play on words when he said it, it could have been sarcastic humor…but racist? I doubt it. Just another self aggrandizing nothing reporter trying to make a story and get in the limelight. Tired of them!! To much like DC politicians.

3. Chris in Keller - Apr 26, 2010 at 1:22 PM

Craig,
    Don’t you having anything better to do than post something about a washed-up ballplayer and then respond to commentors all day long? I’m wondering if you would have given a crap about posting this story if it wasn’t the guy who served up the homer to Bonds. I’m guessing you were just looking for page hits. Bacsik is a passionate Mavs fan, and was probably drinking… a lot. Get off your soapbox and quit railing on a drunk basketball fan.

4. oompaloopma - Apr 26, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Craig, I will have to disagree I do not think it was a racist comment, its like calling a group of fans trailer trash which typically means white trash like comedians seem to put NASCAR fans inot that group. I think its a joke and no more. Redneck used to be an offensive term until Jeff Foxworthy, if George Lopez were to say it then no one would complain. Im call myself white trash all the time by the way for anyone offended, lol.

5. oompaloopma - Apr 26, 2010 at 1:32 PM

6. phil weirick - Apr 26, 2010 at 1:33 PM

thats 750,000 to many–send them back to mexico

7. oompaloopma - Apr 26, 2010 at 1:34 PM

8. oompaloopma - Apr 26, 2010 at 1:43 PM

sorry about the triple post, please delete if you can.

9. OldNo7 - Apr 26, 2010 at 1:44 PM

A few thoughts:
    One, Bacsik is a public figure (ballplayer), and he used a public forum (Twitter) to deliver a racist message. To those who ask “why are we talking about this?”, there’s your answer. It’s the same reason we talked about Torii Hunter a few weeks back. We live in a country that has a history of seriously messed-up activity based on race, and when knuckleheads like Bacsik choose to go there, it’s newsworthy.
    Two, anyone who’s trying to defend Bacsik based on semantics is, in my opinion, an idiot. What he said was, by any definition, a racist statement. If it was innocent, or harmless, or a misunderstood joke, why was it removed? If you’re in the right, you don’t try to hide or cover up your actions.
    Three, my only hesitation in this whole affair is agreeing with Craig’s statement: “Mike Bacsik is a racist.” We do not know what goes on in this man’s mind or his heart, and that’s an ugly label to put on someone. But the fact is that Bacsik is, again, a public figure who used a public forum to deliver a racist message. We are judged by our actions, and to me the burden is on Bacsik to defend or repair his own image. If you don’t want to be called a racist, simply don’t act like one.

10. Joey B - Apr 26, 2010 at 1:47 PM

” And if this comment had been directed to you, or any ethnic group believe me, they would also have their “panties in a wad”.”
    Not really. I’ve heard plenty of Irish drinking jokes, and if I find them funny, I’ll repeat them. When Jessie Jackson referred to NYC as Hymietown, I was offended as a NYer, but it stopped short of ruining my day. And I don’t think it disqualified him from showing up at the WH occasionally. When Sharpton said we needed to drive the interlopers out of Harlem, and then someone torched Freddie’s and killed three people, I held him partially accountable, but I got over it.
    This stuff happens every single day. I think people need to develop a thicker skin.

11. ron_c77 - Apr 26, 2010 at 1:47 PM

go put ur sheet back on and obviously you are ignorant. say that to any one of our faces. which i doubt. what did u have last night for dinner “human”.

12. scatterbrian - Apr 26, 2010 at 1:49 PM

Good lord, Twitter is not a “heat of the moment” thing. Public figures don’t tweet something and expect it to be consumed by only a select group. This stuff is for all to read, and if Bacsik is not a racist, then evidently he’s too brain-dead to realize the spread of the internet.

13. ron_c77 - Apr 26, 2010 at 1:52 PM

hey u have a longer swim so take off now and ill still make it home before u. but what is funny why are all the white people out there commiting hanous crimes pretty fked up. so go home as well. phillip

14. RichardInDallas - Apr 26, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Craig,
    Tap the brakes, pardner! I know that what Mike said in his Tweet wasn’t the best coice of words, but I challenge you to listen to the Ticket for 4 hours a day (including at least 1 hour of the 10-12 slot Bacsik is on in) for 3 or more days, and see if you don’t feel a little differently about this firestorm. You can listen anywhere worldwide, by going to http://www.theticket.com and, when on the home page, look in the top right corner for the green “Listen Live” button. When you do so, you will be listening to THE MOST LISTENED TO internet stream of any radio broadcast (even more, after this, I think). What he said, while on the edge of it, falls within what is acceptable on the station, and to the legion of P1 listeners both here in Dallas and around the world.
    This is a station where death is celebrated via the 3 bedroom apartment awarded to those judged to be trifecta worthy (celebrity deaths always come in 3′s), regular characters include a fake Tiger Woods (imagine the possibilities here and go one or two steps further), a regular character (from the past)named “Captain Doo Doo”, and jokes with a punchline such as “pizza with doo doo as the pepperoni”. It’s VERY childish, but all meant in good fun. Check it out, and get back to me on your possibly changed position on the matter…

15. RUKiddingMe - Apr 26, 2010 at 2:10 PM

Isn’t phil weirick the alias Glen Beck and Rush Limbaugh use when they slum it at a five star hotel on the Tea Partys dime? Good stuff Phil, I guess that’s why you were only the second alternate and not the president of your high school debate club.

16. Vaya Espuelas Vaya - Apr 26, 2010 at 2:13 PM

okobojicat
    OK he might not be a sober racist, but to sling a racial slur at the fans is just asinine and he should be called out.
    (are there any Hispanics even on the Spurs team?)
    He stated Mexicans not Hispanics and no there are no Mexicans on the Spurs. Come to think of it the only Dirty Mexican (Bacsik Quote) in the NBA is Eduardo Najera of his Dallas Mavericks.
    Kind of ironic Bacsiks Dallas Mavericks
    1. Has the only Mexican Born player in the NBA. (only the second Mexican-born player to play the NBA). Eduardo Najera
    2. Najera played High School Ball in San Antonio with other dirty mexicans.
    3. Najera got Ejected for Dirty Play (Flagrant 2).
    4. Najera has probably the largest Dirty Mexican fan base in the NBA.
    If Mike Bacsik does get fired I hear there is an opening (with his name on it) in Arizona for law enforcement officers.

17. Chris - Apr 26, 2010 at 2:14 PM

Since when is “dirty” or “mexican” a race? Dirty describes a level of hygiene, and Mexican describes a nationality. Calling someone racist over that would be like saying that a Catholic Irishman doesn’t like a Protestant Irishman because he is a foreigner. The media will try to misrepresent anything to generate a story.

18. scatterbrian - Apr 26, 2010 at 2:16 PM

Exactly how many racist comments does someone need to say publicly before he/she is deemed racist?
    Whether you like it or not, in this country, people will generally call you a racist based on one comment. As such, you would assume a guy with a radio show would think twice before writing the word “dirty” next to the word “Mexican”.

19. don barnard - Apr 26, 2010 at 2:18 PM

Bacsik isn’t a racist he’s a simple bigot, there’s a difference. The fact that he shares his ignorant and narrow-minded opinions on Twitter simply supports the consensus that both bigots and racists are amongst the less mentally capable elements of our culture, eager to find intellectual validation from strangers. That he quickly removed the post proves that as far as bigots go, he’s one of the more cowardly, backpedalling when his opinions threaten his source of income.
    If the Mexicans of San Antonio are as dirty as he says, it’s most likely from doing an honest days work. As a former professional ball-player and now radio personality a day of honest labor is a concept completely alien to him, and his fear of the unknown causes him to attack blindly. Of course, Rush Limbaugh built an empire in just this way.

20. AZ Lady - Apr 26, 2010 at 2:26 PM

Hello, this is a test

21. Json - Apr 26, 2010 at 2:27 PM

uhhh…does anyone not realize that hispanics ARE the same as whites when it comes to race? I mean wasn’t that the argument made when Judge Sotomayor made her comments against white people? Remember how all the hispanics and the press said it wasn’t racist because she is classified as “white race”…hello? McFly? Now it’s different because a white person made this comment though, right? Hypocrite.

22. AZ Lady - Apr 26, 2010 at 2:36 PM

I live in Bisbee, AZ and that is located about 5 miles north of the International Border. Because so many illegals cross the border for medical assistance and then don’t pay for them, the Copper Queen Hospital had to close a couple of departments.
    Here is the article that back up my statement, http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2005-05-17-arizona-mexicans_x.htm
    In my opinion, the most relevant statement is the last sentence, “…because financial losses forced Copper Queen to close its maternity ward”. Closing that ward forced my daughter to drive 36 miles to Sierra Vista to give birth to her son, instead of driving 5 miles to the Copper Queen.
    I don’t think Mexicans are dirty, but what do you call a group of people who come into our country illegally, use our medical facilities with out the intention of paying for them? And would I be considered a racist if I used that word in conjunction with the word Mexican?

23. MusicLover - Apr 26, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Why is it okay for South Park to poke fun at anyone/everyone, but no one else can? Do you believe the creators are racist too?

24. MusicLover - Apr 26, 2010 at 2:54 PM

And also, a note to those who say he is guilty because he deleted that tweet.. he has also deleted about 10-15 other continuous tweets he made while watching the game last night. Think he may have been enjoying adult beverages at the time.
    And he has apologized today for his insensitivity.

25. Joey B - Apr 26, 2010 at 3:00 PM

“We live in a country that has a history of seriously messed-up activity based on race, and when knuckleheads like Bacsik choose to go there, it’s newsworthy.”
    Basically, every country on Earth has a history of racism against some group of people. Everyone has been subjugated, everyone. The concept that everyone is equal is a newcomer to the scene. How long have people been on Earth? 100,000 years depending on classification? The equality thing has been around in force for about 30 of those 100,000 years.

Three legends off to Cooperstown