Going crazy about Javy Vazquez

Apr 26, 2010, 2:13 PM EDT

Earlier today I made a comment about how talk radio would go crazy on Javier Vazquez. I haven’t listened to any New York talk radio today to see if they have, but regardless, I owe the radio people an apology for suggesting that they have a monopoly on overreaction. Web writers are just as capable of ridiculous hyperbole. Here’s Greg Cohen from Sliding into Home:

I think it’s time we accept that Javier Vazquez might just be gutless bitch who can’t handle New York or
the American League.

Vazquez has been bad, no question. His velocity is down and because of it hitters are able to wait for slop and are teeing off on it.  If it keeps up Joe Girardi is going to have to think about giving his starts to someone else. And yes, people can boo him if they want I suppose.  I’m abandoning that crusade out of sheer futility.

But to suggest that the guy’s on-the-field failures are the result of some inherent character flaw or moral failing — in other words, to call someone a “gutless bitch” — seems way over the top to me. Save me the “you’re not from New York and you don’t know how it goes” business. This is just the most facile kind of analysis possible and it adds nothing to the party.

1. YankeesfanLen - Apr 26, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Javy’s just a fourth starter, I’m with 1996 and am willing to wait til the ASB. Looks like that’s agreeing with Church too.
    Greg, I’ll check out your blog, and Jonny5, stop defending Jersey’s honor, it’s not worth it.
    So it’s all set:We’ll hiss quietly at Javy’s bad pitches.
    At least ARod has the Secret Service protecting him today.

2. YANKEES1996 - Apr 26, 2010 at 5:09 PM

Joey B, Thanks could not have said it better myself! Like I said Mr.Cohen keep your stupid comments to yourself!

3. Greg Cohen - Apr 26, 2010 at 5:10 PM

1: No it’s not, it’s reality. I made a comment on a blog, I didn’t wish death on anyone or threaten anyone. If he wanted to hit me for it that would end up being his problem, not mine.
    2: I don’t have kids, but all kids deal with name-calling, if they can’t handle it this world will chew them up and spit them out.
    And sure, it might be low class, I give you that, but I hardly make a habit of it. This was a rare occurrence.

4. Greg Cohen - Apr 26, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Thanks Len…. You will notice quickly that these kinds of statements are not regular occurrences. And believe me, I hope he turns it around and proves me wrong.

5. Jon - Apr 26, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Church,
    I actually agree with you more than I thought. I just don’t think their performances are similar.
    If by “similar” you mean they underperformed in a small sample size, that’s completely fair. I thought you meant their performances *per se* were similar, which they aren’t.
    I completely agree that it’s silly to jump down a pitcher’s throat for April performance. I’m on Javy’s side in this, and hope (and believe) that he will return to his former self soon. I just didn’t see the stats behind the CC comparison necessarily compelling.
    But we both know the fans aren’t looking at those stats anyway. So you’re right to wonder why one’s subpar performance was criticized while the other’s was poo-poo’d. I can guess that ERA and previous performance has a lot to do with it though…

6. The Rabbit - Apr 26, 2010 at 6:25 PM

Thanks for proving a point I made over the weekend when I attended two Royals/Twins games. (Part of my “visit every ballpark” tour.)
    Hochevar started Saturday’s game and pitched in absolutely miserable weather. He left in the 6th after giving up 4 runs, (another run was charged to him when Parrish gave up a hit) 8 hits, and a walk. Upon his exit, the Royals fans gave him a sincere, not sarcastic, ovation.
    My comment at the time was: “If this were NY and he were a Yankee, he’d be getting booed.”
    New York is really a tough city.

7. Church of the Perpetually Outraged - Apr 26, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Yeah it was my fault for not pointing out that the only reason I quoted those stats was it’s ridiculous to judge a person’s ability based on ~20IP.

and previous performance has a lot to do with it though…

This is the problem though, it’s not his previous performances that are questioned, it’s one particular performance in G7 of ’04 where he was put in a horrible situation. He comes in with the bases loaded and 1 out and on a 2-0 pitch gives up the GS. This is what he’s being vilified for?
    If we want to crucify yanks for one performance in a 7 game series, why don’t we (Yankees fans) point the finger at Rivera (97, 01, 04 x2)? Or Joe Torre (Midg game, G5 of ’04)? Etc. It’s almost like people had a bad idea of Vazquez, listened to that moron Ozzie Guillen, and then took the first few games this year as one giant confirmation bias but those same people are willing to give the benefit of the doubt to any other player.
    Sorry for the rant.

8. Nasty Boy - Apr 26, 2010 at 7:48 PM

It’s just the difference between the American League , and the National League . If they leave him alone his era will be a run to a run and a half higher than last year . The problem is the New York fans hate the poor guy . Leave him alone and he might work things out.

9. Big Harold - Apr 26, 2010 at 11:08 PM

“lo Where’s Javy? I’ll tell him to his face. What’s he going to do, hit me?”
    I’m pretty sure that’s what Jim Rome thought when he decided to talk smack to Jim Everett’s face.
    Frankly calling somebody out or insulting them behind the protection of a keyboard or the threat of filing criminal charges is pretty weak, .. or “gutless”.

Ace-killer Giants do it again