Apr 26, 2010, 2:13 PM EST
Earlier today I made a comment about how talk radio would go crazy on Javier Vazquez. I haven’t listened to any New York talk radio today to see if they have, but regardless, I owe the radio people an apology for suggesting that they have a monopoly on overreaction. Web writers are just as capable of ridiculous hyperbole. Here’s Greg Cohen from Sliding into Home:
I think it’s time we accept that Javier Vazquez might just be gutless bitch who can’t handle New York or
the American League.
Vazquez has been bad, no question. His velocity is down and because of it hitters are able to wait for slop and are teeing off on it. If it keeps up Joe Girardi is going to have to think about giving his starts to someone else. And yes, people can boo him if they want I suppose. I’m abandoning that crusade out of sheer futility.
But to suggest that the guy’s on-the-field failures are the result of some inherent character flaw or moral failing — in other words, to call someone a “gutless bitch” — seems way over the top to me. Save me the “you’re not from New York and you don’t know how it goes” business. This is just the most facile kind of analysis possible and it adds nothing to the party.
- Report: D’backs, Angels, White Sox agree to three-team Mark Trumbo deal 28
- Ranking MLB managers by . . . handsomeness 4
- Curtis Granderson: “A lot of people have told me real New Yorkers are Mets fans” 40
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 53
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 25
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)