Apr 26, 2010, 2:28 PM EDT
UPDATE: Done deal. 5 years, $125 million. It kicks in starting in 2012. This seems like a really bad, really unnecessary move for the Phillies. More later on this, of course.
2:20 P.M.: Part of what we do here is pass along rumors. When it’s one that I’m really dubious about, I make extra sure to put the little “Rumor:” disclaimer in the headline just so you don’t think I’m trafficking in complete and utter nonsense with the intent to mislead. I try to keep my trafficking in complete and utter nonsense is totally above-board.
With that disclaimer out of the way, Jim Salisbury of CSN-Philly is reporting that the Phillies are poised to sign Ryan Howard to a five-year extension.
This makes little sense to me as Howard is signed through 2011, when he’s going to make $20 million. Howard has admirably transformed himself from a big ol’ slugger to a smaller, more athletic slugger who is no longer a horror show at first base, but he’s still a big guy on the wrong side of 30 who could very easily fall off a cliff before he’s 35 as so many sluggers who fit his profile do. It would be puzzling at best for the Phillies to make a five year commitment to that type of player, especially when they have more pressing contractual issues such as Jayson Werth.
I don’t have enough experience going through Jim Salisbury’s rumor history to know if it’s reliable or not. I’ll note that he was out front of the Roy Halladay-to-Philly rumors last fall, and he was the first to report that the Phillies were talking to Shane Victorino about a contract extension. Still, this one seems far-fetched to me.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)