Apr 26, 2010, 12:15 PM EDT
It’s the only time Bombers are allowed there:
Jeter and his teammates will make the trip from Baltimore to Washington to visit wounded veterans Monday morning at the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, then proceed to the White House to meet with President Obama Monday afternoon.
My understanding is that only those players who were on the championship team get to meet the president for these kinds of visits, and that those acquired during the offseason have to find something else to do. At the same time, those players who were on the team last year but who are no longer there do not get to make the trip for obvious logistical reasons.
Which means that even though I think the Yankees will win the World Series this year, Javy Vazquez will almost certainly not make the trip next year. At least if those screaming about him on talk radio today get their way.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 3
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)