Apr 27, 2010, 5:00 PM EST
UPDATE: Turns out that Uecker is going to have his aortic valve replaced and his aortic root
replaced on Friday morning. The surgery was described by his doctor as “relatively common.”
Trevor Hoffman, Prince Fielder, Rickie Weeks, Casey McGehee, Craig Counsell and Ken Macha were all at the presser, inspiring Uecker to say that “I’m part of the team.” Uecker added “I don’t ever want to quit . . . I look forward to
coming to the park every day. That’s the highlight of the day.”
Excuse me, but it just got a bit misty in here.
3:12 P.M.: Adam McCalvy reports that Brewers’ broadcaster Bob Uecker is going to miss 10-12 weeks as a result of heart surgery, which he will undergo on Friday. There aren’t many details yet, but the Brewers will be holding a press conference at 4:30PM eastern.
Uecker is best known to most of you as Harry Doyle from “Major League,” or the dad from “Mr. Belvedere” or — if you’re a bit older — the character from those old Miller Lite commercials from the 1970s and 80s, which were really “This is SportsCenter” before “This is SportsCenter” existed. He did a great job in those roles — and was absolutely killer on the “Tonight Show” back in the day — so that’s totally cool.
But even if he had never become as famous as he has, Uecker would be known as a really a fantastic broadcaster. He’s held the job since 1971, and if you’ve never had a chance to take in a Brewers’ game he’s doing you’ve really missed out. I was unlucky enough to get stuck in Milwaukee on a miserable three-week trial several summers ago and the only thing that made those three weeks bearable was Uecker calling Brewers games every night. He’s got an easy delivery and demeanor that matches a midsummer night game absolutely perfectly.
Here’s hoping Uecker gets well and gets back to calling games as soon as possible.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 25
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 282
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)