Apr 27, 2010, 9:12 AM EST
He’s fine, but this is scary:
In the bottom of the fourth, Alcides Escobar’s
bat shattered when he grounded out to end the inning. A sharp piece of
the barrel flew into the Miller Park stands about 10 rows behind the
Pirates’ on-deck circle, careering off several fans and hitting the boy
in the head.
Maple bats and insufficient netting is going to end up getting someone seriously hurt or killed. Baseball needs to (1) either ban the bats or make them safer via technology; and (2) extend the netting to the dugouts.
This game is too fast and the equipment too dangerous not to.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 56
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 23
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 3
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 360
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)