Apr 27, 2010, 9:12 AM EST
He’s fine, but this is scary:
In the bottom of the fourth, Alcides Escobar’s
bat shattered when he grounded out to end the inning. A sharp piece of
the barrel flew into the Miller Park stands about 10 rows behind the
Pirates’ on-deck circle, careering off several fans and hitting the boy
in the head.
Maple bats and insufficient netting is going to end up getting someone seriously hurt or killed. Baseball needs to (1) either ban the bats or make them safer via technology; and (2) extend the netting to the dugouts.
This game is too fast and the equipment too dangerous not to.
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Curt Schilling goes after Obama, says Ronald Reagan would watch “The Interview” (225)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (120)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (96)
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year (86)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)