Apr 27, 2010, 9:12 AM EDT
He’s fine, but this is scary:
In the bottom of the fourth, Alcides Escobar’s
bat shattered when he grounded out to end the inning. A sharp piece of
the barrel flew into the Miller Park stands about 10 rows behind the
Pirates’ on-deck circle, careering off several fans and hitting the boy
in the head.
Maple bats and insufficient netting is going to end up getting someone seriously hurt or killed. Baseball needs to (1) either ban the bats or make them safer via technology; and (2) extend the netting to the dugouts.
This game is too fast and the equipment too dangerous not to.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 7
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 214
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (214)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)