Apr 27, 2010, 9:12 AM EDT
He’s fine, but this is scary:
In the bottom of the fourth, Alcides Escobar’s
bat shattered when he grounded out to end the inning. A sharp piece of
the barrel flew into the Miller Park stands about 10 rows behind the
Pirates’ on-deck circle, careering off several fans and hitting the boy
in the head.
Maple bats and insufficient netting is going to end up getting someone seriously hurt or killed. Baseball needs to (1) either ban the bats or make them safer via technology; and (2) extend the netting to the dugouts.
This game is too fast and the equipment too dangerous not to.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)