Apr 27, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
Uh-oh. Buster Olney of ESPN.com hears that Brett Anderson will miss four to six weeks with a flexor tendon strain.
The Athletics placed the 22-year-old southpaw on the disabled list on Tuesday due to a left forearm strain and elbow irritation. He was scheduled to undergo an MRI earlier today.
Anderson emerged as one of the most promising young hurlers in the game last season, finishing 11-11 with a 4.06 ERA, 1.28 WHIP and 150/45 K/BB ratio over 175 1/3 innings. Off to a fine start this season — 2.35 ERA and 1.04 WHIP over his first four starts — the team recently rewarded him with a four-year, $12.5 million contract extension.
You think Tom Verducci did a fist pump when he heard this?
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 23
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 52
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)