Apr 27, 2010, 9:20 PM EDT
Uh-oh. Buster Olney of ESPN.com hears that Brett Anderson will miss four to six weeks with a flexor tendon strain.
The Athletics placed the 22-year-old southpaw on the disabled list on Tuesday due to a left forearm strain and elbow irritation. He was scheduled to undergo an MRI earlier today.
Anderson emerged as one of the most promising young hurlers in the game last season, finishing 11-11 with a 4.06 ERA, 1.28 WHIP and 150/45 K/BB ratio over 175 1/3 innings. Off to a fine start this season — 2.35 ERA and 1.04 WHIP over his first four starts — the team recently rewarded him with a four-year, $12.5 million contract extension.
You think Tom Verducci did a fist pump when he heard this?
- Joe Maddon’s pursuit of the Cubs job called “a classless act” by some in the game 0
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 29
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 96
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 18
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)