Apr 27, 2010, 9:20 PM EST
Uh-oh. Buster Olney of ESPN.com hears that Brett Anderson will miss four to six weeks with a flexor tendon strain.
The Athletics placed the 22-year-old southpaw on the disabled list on Tuesday due to a left forearm strain and elbow irritation. He was scheduled to undergo an MRI earlier today.
Anderson emerged as one of the most promising young hurlers in the game last season, finishing 11-11 with a 4.06 ERA, 1.28 WHIP and 150/45 K/BB ratio over 175 1/3 innings. Off to a fine start this season — 2.35 ERA and 1.04 WHIP over his first four starts — the team recently rewarded him with a four-year, $12.5 million contract extension.
You think Tom Verducci did a fist pump when he heard this?
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (123)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)