Apr 27, 2010, 1:26 PM EDT
The Red Sox called up lefty Fabio Castro from Pawtucket today to bolster the bullpen after yesterday’s slug fest. Castro has an ERA of 8.10 in AAA right now. With those numbers you’d figure that he’s going to get nothing but garbage time. Which makes me wonder what’s the point of having a knuckleballer in the bullpen if you’re not going to use him to suck up oodles of garbage time innings like that.
And since Castro is a lefty, why not call up Alan Embree? He’s threatening to take off if the Sox don’t call him up. And, unlike Castro, he’s actually been pretty effective so far this year.
I realize that this is little stuff in the grand scheme of things, but unless the Phillies give Jimmy Rollins a 6 year/120M contract this afternoon, not much is going on right now.
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 10
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 4
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 50
- The Marlins aren’t happy with the Dan Jennings hire 41
- Andrew McCutchen is doing just fine now, thank you 20
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 69
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72