Apr 27, 2010, 1:26 PM EST
The Red Sox called up lefty Fabio Castro from Pawtucket today to bolster the bullpen after yesterday’s slug fest. Castro has an ERA of 8.10 in AAA right now. With those numbers you’d figure that he’s going to get nothing but garbage time. Which makes me wonder what’s the point of having a knuckleballer in the bullpen if you’re not going to use him to suck up oodles of garbage time innings like that.
And since Castro is a lefty, why not call up Alan Embree? He’s threatening to take off if the Sox don’t call him up. And, unlike Castro, he’s actually been pretty effective so far this year.
I realize that this is little stuff in the grand scheme of things, but unless the Phillies give Jimmy Rollins a 6 year/120M contract this afternoon, not much is going on right now.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 25
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 281
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 17
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (281)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Gregg Zaun says young players should be physically abused and hazed by veterans. So they can learn respect. (105)