Apr 27, 2010, 1:26 PM EDT
The Red Sox called up lefty Fabio Castro from Pawtucket today to bolster the bullpen after yesterday’s slug fest. Castro has an ERA of 8.10 in AAA right now. With those numbers you’d figure that he’s going to get nothing but garbage time. Which makes me wonder what’s the point of having a knuckleballer in the bullpen if you’re not going to use him to suck up oodles of garbage time innings like that.
And since Castro is a lefty, why not call up Alan Embree? He’s threatening to take off if the Sox don’t call him up. And, unlike Castro, he’s actually been pretty effective so far this year.
I realize that this is little stuff in the grand scheme of things, but unless the Phillies give Jimmy Rollins a 6 year/120M contract this afternoon, not much is going on right now.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)