Apr 27, 2010, 1:26 PM EDT
The Red Sox called up lefty Fabio Castro from Pawtucket today to bolster the bullpen after yesterday’s slug fest. Castro has an ERA of 8.10 in AAA right now. With those numbers you’d figure that he’s going to get nothing but garbage time. Which makes me wonder what’s the point of having a knuckleballer in the bullpen if you’re not going to use him to suck up oodles of garbage time innings like that.
And since Castro is a lefty, why not call up Alan Embree? He’s threatening to take off if the Sox don’t call him up. And, unlike Castro, he’s actually been pretty effective so far this year.
I realize that this is little stuff in the grand scheme of things, but unless the Phillies give Jimmy Rollins a 6 year/120M contract this afternoon, not much is going on right now.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 9
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 66
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 72
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (147)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)