Diamondbacks void contract of Socrates Brito after PED suspension

Apr 27, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT

Two months ago the Diamondbacks signed awesome-named Dominican outfielder Socrates Brito for $190,000, but the contract has been voided after the 17-year-old received a 50-game suspension for violating the Minor League Drug Prevention and Treatment Program.
Steve Gilbert of MLB.com reports that Brito “tested positive for metabolites of Stanozolol, a performance-enhancing substance.” Brito is now a free agent, but assistant general manager Peter Woolfolk indicated that the Diamondbacks “will attempt to renegotiate new contract terms.”
When they signed Brito for $190,000 back in February the Diamondbacks compared him to Bernie Williams and projected that he was talented enough to be picked in the first three rounds had he been eligible for the draft. So now they’ll just get him for a bit cheaper and his American debut will have to wait an extra 50 games.

1. Professor Dave - Apr 27, 2010 at 1:55 PM

Why do many Dominicans have Greek classical names? Here’s Socrates. I had a good Dominican friend in college named Euclides. I knew an Aristotle. Why? Perspiring minds want to know.

2. BC - Apr 27, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Socrates? Is arsenic on the banned list?

3. Mick - Apr 27, 2010 at 2:12 PM

I think it was hemlock…

4. BC - Apr 27, 2010 at 2:18 PM

What a dumb bleep I am. Of course it’s hemlock. Arsenic wasn’t discovered until literally like 1000 years after Socrates bought the farm. Duhhhhh….. How many o’s are there in stooooooooooooooooooopid?

5. jwb - Apr 27, 2010 at 2:49 PM

Don’t forget Osiris Matos and Anibal Sanchez. I guess more Dominicans are classical scholars than I would have guessed.

6. Steve B - Apr 27, 2010 at 2:50 PM

I did a study abroad program in the Dominican (and Cuba) with some Dominican folks and it’s a cultural trope down there that’s even gotten some literary satire. There’s a short story where a Dominican, a Cuban, and a Haitian are all shipwrecked and the Dominican’s name is Diogenes.
    It’s just a neoclassical thing they do. My young professor’s name on that trip was Nestor Rodriguez. And let us not forget my favorite bullpen arm, Hipolito Pichardo.

7. motherscratcher - Apr 27, 2010 at 2:58 PM

Wait, they are going to renegotiate his contract? He doesn’t have to do hard time in Chino?
    How are we going to explain this to the children?

8. Professor Dave - Apr 27, 2010 at 3:15 PM

Nice!
    Any clue from your experience why this happened? Is there a story behind it?

Three legends off to Cooperstown