Apr 27, 2010, 10:48 AM EDT
It was a laugher for the Brewers last night, but early on Gregg Zaun suffered through a catcher’s nightmare: an inability to throw the ball back to the mound after a pitch. The video is here, and you can’t watch it without thinking back to Macky Sasser, who was unable to throw the ball back to the mound in the 1990 season when he played for the Mets. It was obviously some kind of mental block for Sasser, because he had no problem firing it down to second base.
Zaun was otherwise fine. More than fine, really, given that he had five RBI in the game. And eventually his throwing did straighten itself out.
In light of things ending well for Z-game, we can have a little fun with this. First, there’s Wezen-Ball, who found a potential solution for Zaun in a 55 year-old Peanuts cartoon. The guys at Tauntr have another solution. This one involves watching part of the movie “Major League 2,” however, so proceed with caution.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 340
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 79
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 52
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (340)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)