It's no-hitter day

Apr 27, 2010, 12:12 PM EDT

Derek Lowe.jpgPfun pfactoid from MLB.com this morning: April 27th is tied for the title of most no-hittinest day of the baseball season, with six no-nos having occurred on this date in history.  What’s more, two of the 4/27 no hitters were tossed by guys getting starts today: Derek Lowe in 2002 and Kevin Millwood in 2003.

I’m gonna go out on a limb here and guess that Lowe will not be repeating his feat. This prediction is based on complex logarithms, probability analysis and a touch of quantum mechanics so it’s kind of hard to fully explain, but let me try to give a rough approximation in layman’s terms: Back when Derek Lowe threw his first no hitter he did not suck, and today he does.

Sorry to hit you with the science, but sometimes we have to do that around here.

1. YankeesfanLen - Apr 27, 2010 at 12:26 PM

Somehow I can’t envision Millwood carrying one through the second inning, either.

2. enough already - Apr 27, 2010 at 12:34 PM

Yeah! Johan is pitching today. Oh, wait. He’s pitching for us. Nevermind.

3. Josh in DC - Apr 27, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Your Atlanta Braves homerism knows no bounds.

4. Raffy - Apr 27, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Craig -
    Lowe is certainly off to a tough start, but a little harsh and unprofessional, no?
    The info about the no-hitters made for a sufficient article without the shots at Lowe.

5. Curious George - Apr 27, 2010 at 1:04 PM

Craig, did you mean algorithms?

6. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 27, 2010 at 1:08 PM

I have no idea what I meant, George. I was kind of riffing there. Probably algorithms.

7. belicheck's cheat codes - Apr 27, 2010 at 1:23 PM

WOW. Craig, you got off the Derek-Lowe-turning-it-around-in-2010 bandwagon pretty darn fast, didn’t you? you also appear to have set that bandwagon on fire.

8. Craig Calcaterra - Apr 27, 2010 at 1:27 PM

The Derek Lowe-will-turn-it-around stuff was a hope couched in a reasonable belief that it could happen. Unlike many, when the facts on the ground change, I let go of obsolete beliefs. No sense in keeping philosophical consistency at the expense of empirical accuracy.

9. KC Mariner - Apr 27, 2010 at 1:30 PM

Zack Greinke gets to face my Mariners and their amazing lineup (that was no-hit through 6 my Kyle Davies last night) tonight. If a no hitter is going to happen, that’s it.

10. ecp - Apr 27, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Yeah, and that was a pretty weak single Ichiro got to break it up. Greinke came darn close to no hitting the M’s last year; maybe today is the magic day. Is it a jinx to talk about it before the game even starts?

11. Jonny5 - Apr 27, 2010 at 1:57 PM

Not everyone can pitch from a walker like moyer now can they? After last season I swore he was done, Thank god I was wrong. Well so far he’s proven me wrong, we’ll see.

12. LarryLongBeach - Apr 27, 2010 at 2:43 PM

It’s also interesting to note that, unless I remembering incorrectly, there are quite a few no-hitters in the past for todays’ starters. Mark Buehrle, Anibal Sanchez, Clay Buchholz, Justin Verlander and Ubaldo Jimenez also start today.
    I wonder if there has ever been a day where there were 7 pitchers who had no-hitters all going in the same night…much less ON the most no-hittinest day.
    Very very weird. But since I own Jimenez and Carpenter in my NL-only league, here’s hoping for some repeat mojo. (And, perish the thought, that my Mets FINALLY get one…Johan, not Ollie. I’m hopeful, not psychotic)

13. RamboDiaz - Apr 27, 2010 at 3:31 PM

… well, this is certainly a harbinger for tonight’s MIL-PIT game …

14. jwb - Apr 27, 2010 at 5:02 PM

“After last season I swore [Moyer] was done”
    Shoot, I thought we had seen the last of him after 1991. . .
    “mutters and” goes to the kitchen to grab a beer.

15. Kenny from Pikesville - Apr 27, 2010 at 6:55 PM

YankeesfanLen:
    Not only will Millwood win tonight, but I’m predicting A-Roid gets into a scuffle with T-Bone Shelby for crossing the first-base-coach’s box.
    Read my comments on no-hitter day at:
    “The Curse of Davey Johnson”

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. G. Springer (3940)