Apr 27, 2010, 10:29 AM EDT
The Tigers played a night game in Anaheim on Thursday and took a late night flight that got them into Dallas early Friday morning before a game against the Rangers that evening. Then they played a night game against the Rangers last night and took a late night flight that got them into Detroit early this morning before a game against the Twins tonight.
“I’m not knocking anybody in general, but you also need to take care of
your product. Two times in five days (red-eye flights). That’s just not
reasonable. That’s no good, just no good. This has been ridiculous, to
be honest with you.”
The wraparound series with the Rangers is perplexing to me, because yesterday probably should have been an offday, what with it being a transition between a west coast trip and the return to divisional play (the next Tigers off-day is May 6th, between games in Minnesota and Cleveland). I know they’re not flying commercial and carrying their own bags and stuff, but even relatively posh travel can be exhausting.
There are so many spinning plates when it comes to doing the schedule — you have to keep teams from two-team cities apart if you can; you have to deal with TV stuff; you have to worry about rainouts; — but tiring out a team with a couple of poorly planned-out stretches of travel can have competitive implications, and that’s unacceptable.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 30
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 62
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)