Apr 27, 2010, 8:45 AM EST
Josh Johnson notched a career-high 12 strikeouts in a complete-game victory Monday night and equaled the Padres’ hit total by going 3-for-4 with three RBIs at the plate.
One of the biggest Tommy John surgery success stories, Johnson has upped both his strikeouts and ground balls while cutting his walks since returning and is now 24-7 with a 3.33 ERA in 52 starts after going under the knife. At age 26 he might be MLB’s most underrated ace.
Setting aside Johnson’s injury wrecked 2007, his ERAs by season are 3.65, 3.10, 3.61, 3.23, and now 3.19. His career mark of 3.39 ranks sixth among all active starters with at least 500 innings behind only Tim Lincecum, Johan Santana, Roy Oswalt, Jake Peavy, and Roy Halladay.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)